UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Sep 2016, 9:51 pm   #1
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Default Toshiba DVD player whine from PSU

Hey guys, not sure if this thing is quite vintage yet, but going by the recent talk on here about caps etc thought I'd ask.

I have a Toshiba SD290EKB DVD player, it works perfectly apart from when it's switched to standby, the psu makes a high pitched whine that is so annoying I have to unplug it at night or I can hear it in my sleep.

Is there anything I can do myself to resolve this? It's multi region hence I would like to hang on to it.

Thanks

Steve
Old 21st Sep 2016, 12:01 am   #2
John123
Heptode

Default Re: Toshiba DVD player whine from PSU

Switched-mode power supplies run at high frequencies, so the odds of something audibly resonating are quite high. Usually it's an inductor or transformer winding, but even ceramic capacitors aren't immune to this effect!

If you have a bit of patience and a good ear, a dab of hot glue in the right area will solve the issue..although seeing as it's just a player only it might not be such a bad idea to turn it off at the wall anyway!
Old 21st Sep 2016, 12:10 am   #3
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Problem is the plug is in behind the tv in the corner of the room, means crawling under the tv stand every time, we use it every night to watch a box set that we are working through. The Mrs can't hear the whine but I'm more sensitive to hums whines and the noise the dvd player makes lol
Old 21st Sep 2016, 12:29 am   #4
John123
Heptode

You could try running a secondary extension lead just for the DVD player so it can be switched on and off easily. I know it's not really a fix!
Old 21st Sep 2016, 7:18 am   #5
FIXITNOW
Octode

a lot of this range did suffer from poor electrolytic capacitors
may be time to recap the psu
Old 21st Sep 2016, 10:56 am   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I agree that does indeed sound like dried up caps.Change quick before mega failure!
Old 24th Sep 2016, 12:58 am   #7
Sanbeta
Hexode

Agreed
Closed Thread