UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2016, 7:22 pm   #1
Jonny1990
Retired Dormant Member

Smile My Mitsubishi gaming Television

Hi all Just thought I would share my old TV I have had for years and use occasionally for retro gaming. I think it is a Blue Diamond, though I am not 100% sure. I adore the look of old "fake wood" TVs like this, and this has actually been a really reliable TV, with a good picture and good audio quality. I'd be very interested to learn more about it if any of you guys know
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1243.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	130061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Game Room.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	130062   Click image for larger version

Name:	SonicTV.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	130063  
Old 13th Sep 2016, 7:51 pm   #2
unitaudio
Heptode

Default Re: My Mitsubishi gaming Television

My mate's mum and dad had one of those. I remember being very impressed at the time that It had a tweeter! Tellies didn't have tweeters back then. It made a notiecable difference too compared to our Granada Finlandia rental set! The one my friend's parents had was also a good reliable set and never had anything spent on it in 25 years. My mate was still using it for his Playstation until a few years ago. Don't know what happened to it but if I know Daz, he probably binned it!

I'm not sure if it's a Blue Diamond, it's a long time since I've seen one. I do remember they were seen as quite posh at the time.

Regards,
Paul
Old 13th Sep 2016, 8:01 pm   #3
John123
Heptode

I recall one of the High Street betting shops used to have something very similar up on the wall. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still there working away to be honest! Mitsubishi made some very reliable TV's.

I wonder, does this one feature a SCART socket? Retro games always look that much tastier over RGB SCART. Happy days!
Old 13th Sep 2016, 10:29 pm   #4
Jonny1990
Retired Dormant Member

Paul- Really interesting, the audio quality is great, sounds fantastic with Sega Mega Drive soundtracks! The quality seems to be really good, everything works as it should and the picture is still crisp, and I like hoe much the cabinet is over engineered.

John- That's great Seems these things last for a long time. Though this does not have a SCART cable, only coaxial. It is from 1983, so not sure how widely available SCART was back then? I still maintain old games look much better on a CRT than a modern TV, it gives them a slight blur/glow that smooths out rough edges and makes the games look more natural than on a flatscreen.
Old 14th Sep 2016, 5:23 am   #5
ntscuser
Hexode

In my experience ALL non-HD material looks better on a CRT than on a flatscreen.
Old 14th Sep 2016, 8:06 pm   #6
McMurdo
Dekatron

My Auntie had one of those and a matching video recorder. They both went on for years and were eventually stolen in a house burglary. My other Auntie had the Hitachi Instavision which was a similar set but had a much poorer picture...I'm sure engineers know the range.
Old 14th Sep 2016, 8:53 pm   #7
Maarten
Dekatron

Funny thing, that Mitsubishi looks a bit like a continental Philips set design wise. I know it probably isn't but it has something Philips about it. Maybe that's where the designers got their inspiration.

P.S. Philips already started using tweeters in their more upmarket K9 models, so around 1973.
Old 14th Sep 2016, 10:21 pm   #8
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

I used to have a hybrid Philips set, the K70, that gave very good pictures and very impressive sound via it's side positioned woofer and front mounted tweeter, the bass was quite something despite it all being delivered from a solitary PCL86! I think it dated from 1970.

Cheers
Old 15th Sep 2016, 7:14 am   #9
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Very nice set. And I am a big fan of Crash Bandicoot since I was like 6 years old!!

Fivos
Old 15th Sep 2016, 2:33 pm   #10
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I have one of these on the shelf - 27" version with original remote control and handbook. I also have a customer with one in daily use. Still going strong - I called to see her a fortnight ago to sort out a Sky problem. Just a little bit of flaring now, but still very watchable.
The only problems I remember are intermittent sound due to plug UC on the remote board - solder the wires directly. Remember Uncle Charlie said the Mitsubishi technical guy - and I've always remembered. Odd failure of the 1.2 ohm resistors in the audio and remote power stages. Dry joints on the line driver transformer. And two 330uF capacitors in the frame stage and associated components. That's more or less it, and the shop I worked for at the time sold quite a few.
Glyn
Old 16th Sep 2016, 12:00 am   #11
Jonny1990
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_fivos_sak View Post
Very nice set. And I am a big fan of Crash Bandicoot since I was like 6 years old!!
Thanks! Great, I think the Crash Bandicoot games were fantastic, some of the best platformers in my opinion. If you ever get the chance and want to see the set in action and like Crash Bandicoot, I have done some videos on the games on my YouTube channel, such as a video on is Crash Bandicoot art?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdovmQGJyL4 and a review of Crash Bandicoot 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKrWTLGywo4

Glyn - Very interesting, it really is a testament to the build quality that it is still being watched after all these years. They certainly don't build TVs to last like that these days.

Maarten - After googling the Philips Continental, yes I can see what you mean, there certainly are some design similarities!
Closed Thread