UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2016, 2:11 pm   #21
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Single Channel 405-line Receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
I think it was a Pye set. The local "teleman", as dad used to call him, built us a converter box which we used for ITV.
As Ferseh said, it sounds like PYE V4. But why the 'teleman' built a special box for you is a mystery as it would be very difficult to match the official PYE box on price - it was 13-channel turret tuner in a brown box that sat on top of the set - unless he was cobbling together cheap aerial converters which translated the BIII channel to B1, making it sensitive to interference from BBC ingress or, worse still, radiated ITV on the BBC channel which interfered with neighbours reception, if it was badly made

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
The set was replaced in 1964 by a new set, which had a knob with 625 on it, but we still couldn't get BBC2. We didn't get BBC2 until 1971 when we got a new set.
Assuming it was a new set it would have been fully dual standard but without the UHF tuner because when BBC2 first opened it was only available from Crystal Palace.

All that was necessary was to have the UHF tuner fitted when BBC2 became available in your area.
Old 14th Sep 2016, 4:51 pm   #22
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
What was the EHT on this huge screened set?
Hi Steve,
The EHT unit: by means of an RF oscillator. Max EHT was 15KV.
This is a truly interesting receiver and worthy of a separate topic.

DFWB.
Old 14th Sep 2016, 6:28 pm   #23
stevehertz
Dekatron

Pre-war sets were London only, Ally Pally. Post war, London only sets came first, then Birmingham only sets. After that as new stations were brought on stream it's my belief that from that period onwards sets that could be tuned in to the new stations, Holme Moss etc, 'replaced' the dedicated single channel ones; they were tuneable. So I do not believe that their were single channel sets for any transmitters other than London and Birmingham. In my time as a collector of vintage TVs in the 70s and 80s I travelled all over the country to buy sets and I never came across one that was different to what I have just said. The Bush TV22 being an example of a set that could be tuned in.
Old 14th Sep 2016, 8:59 pm   #24
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The Bush TV22 is fully tunable to receive all five BBC channels. The TV12 is a TRF receiver and was designed to receive one BBC channel only. A TRF "Birmingham" TV12 was made.
I understand that certain late production TV12 models were equipped with a five channel superhet receiver unit. Is that correct?

DFWB.
Old 14th Sep 2016, 9:10 pm   #25
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I guess those old tin-plate cased, self powered, 2 valve, Band 3 adaptors that would perilously hang off the back of the set was the "set top box" of its day! Edward
Old 14th Sep 2016, 10:07 pm   #26
Aub
Nonode

That sounds like the box we had Edward, only ours sat on top of the TV. It had a cream front panel and the casing was steel with hundreds of little holes in it. I think there were only two controls - on/off switch and an ITV/BBC switch. We kept it for a few years, after we had the new set, but I took it to bits when I became interested in electronics/radio.

Thanks to all.

Aub
Old 15th Sep 2016, 12:06 am   #27
emeritus
Dekatron

For our first TV, a Bush, bought for the Coronation, channel selection was via a 2-pin plug link that could be inserted in any one of five positions, marked 1 to 5. Living in London, we never needed to change channels, and I only know this because after we had got a new set to receive ITV, dad gave the old one to our neighbour (a semi-retired rag and bone man), retaining some of the parts that lay around in the shed for some years after. I used to play with paxolin panels salvaged from the back, and remember the channel selection plug, as well as the voltage range plug, which had positions in 10V steps covering 200V to 250V AC, but only 230V to 250V DC.
Closed Thread