UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Sep 2016, 5:04 pm   #1
ryanbrownin
Pentode

Default PYE CT-480 G11 no power

Hi,

My PYE G11 shows no sign of power. I tried checking the fuses and the transparent glass ones looked ok but some of the fuses are opaque so I have no idea if they have been blown.

Kind regards,
Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	129890  
Old 10th Sep 2016, 5:10 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: PYE CT-480 G11 no power

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbrownin View Post
....some of the fuses are opaque so I have no idea if they have been blown.

Kind regards,
Ryan
Can you not just take them out of the set and test them using a meter on ohms range?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 10th Sep 2016, 5:21 pm   #3
ryanbrownin
Pentode

I could do, I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks
Old 10th Sep 2016, 5:52 pm   #4
toshiba tony
Heptode

Surely this post is a p**s take. I was pulled a while ago for being critical about bad grammar and gross spelling errors. On similar sites I posted problems with a Chad Valley projector. I was trying to obtain a lamp for this set. It was pre. DLP days. (digital)
I didn't get any replies, a 2.5v torch bulb would have met my needs. Surely this site, I would have thought, would need a basic knowledge of electronics. But, then again, perhaps not, we employ some seventeen employees to test electronic equipment on a basic level and they struggle.
Good luck with your G11, watch the mains doesn't tickle your cranial contents.
Old 10th Sep 2016, 9:39 pm   #5
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

If this post is not a pee take may I suggest, no offence meant, that if you are not familiar with working on TV's that use a live chassis you ask someone or take the set to someone who is familiar with working on live and high voltage equipment such as televisions and mains valved radios.
Just to clarify my point of live chassis that means the chassis runs at half mains potential which can bite.
Old 11th Sep 2016, 11:47 am   #6
toshiba tony
Heptode

One day my warped sense of humour will get my head kicked in, no offence was meant. I can't do accountancy or hill climb, though I'm supposed to be head of my field at work. At my works I have instructed all testers to keep a list of their daily activities. I do the same and entered 5 seconds to pick my nose. It was frowned upon by one of the owners. Good luck with your G11 and I promise to behave in future, but do please watch out for the half live chassis!
Old 11th Sep 2016, 5:40 pm   #7
Mikey66
Hexode

Here's a list of G11 faults and cures. I think I downloaded them from here.
It may help you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Philips G11 Faults.pdf (9.9 KB, 344 views)

Mike C
Old 13th Sep 2016, 8:31 pm   #8
ryanbrownin
Pentode

Simon, I had previously done some research into the G11 chassis and had learned that it has a live chassis but thanks for looking out for me!

Thank you for the list Mike it will be a big help I'm sure.

Kind regards, Ryan
Old 15th Sep 2016, 2:36 pm   #9
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I read that with a shudder - the Lorlin mains switch had a habit of shorting on the live side. Worked as a switch but the chassis was very live as I found out - once with a aerial plug in one hand as i touched the chassis with the other (yes, the one hand in pocket rule should have applied!). The second when I went to resolder a dry joint - didn't unplug, and BOOM! Both in front of the customers - oops!
Glyn
Old 15th Sep 2016, 3:01 pm   #10
toshiba tony
Heptode

On a slightly similar vein re safety and live chassis. We had had our w\s rewired, I didn't always use an isolation transformer, and assumed that if I turned the set off via the wall switch all would be safe, set about soldering, and it was a G11 so this post is applicable. BANG, the wall sockets were connected live to neutral and neutral to live. Of course the switching action still took place but it was switching the neutral. Cowboys, eh?
Old 18th Sep 2016, 8:00 pm   #11
ryanbrownin
Pentode

Hi,

I've have taken the advice above and have posted a repair request, no response as of yet but I'll be patient

Kind regards,
Ryan
Closed Thread