UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Sep 2016, 6:19 am   #21
Focus Diode
Octode

Default Re: VHS machines no longer made

I'll certainly pay tribute to this great format. I went with VHS from the outset. I dug out a 1983 recording recently which replayed perfectly on a fairly modern machine.
Brian
Old 21st Sep 2016, 10:08 am   #22
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Our local charity shops sell out of VHS tapes every week - they can't get enough. Five for £1. What is nice is that they also sell home recorded ones where a title is listed and yesterday I picked up five tapes, all 'Ferguson Videostar' brand from the early 80's with various TV on them. The recordings were from 1984 and as with most decent off air recordings from that period they are very easy on the eye. The announcing voice is clear and well spoken and each program starts with an air of gravitas. I like that. Also as commented earlier, the sound is better than Freeview sound - louder and more defined. VHS tapes are little slices of history, the recorders marvels of technology. How come anyone can deem them 'rubbish' is beyond me - they are great!

Just as an aside, the TV ads were SO much better in the 80's - had an air of fun and trying things out. And they were shot on film!

I'm set up for life with VHS I think.
Old 21st Sep 2016, 8:15 pm   #23
mark pirate
Dekatron

I still use VHS on a regular basis, since the death of analogue it has been hooked up to a freeview box for off air recording.
It is mainly used for playback of my vast library of tapes.

I have built up quite a hoard of mainly high end machines offered on Freecycle, so I should always have a working machine to use.

I too have a large collection of recordings made throughout the 80's, TV was so much better back then
The majority of these recordings still play as good as the day they were recorded, more than can be said for DVD or those temperamental HDD recorders....

Mark
Old 24th Sep 2016, 12:56 am   #24
Sanbeta
Hexode

Ditto
Old 25th Sep 2016, 10:02 am   #25
electronicskip
Nonode

I still have a couple of hundred old vhs tapes ive recorded which for the most have motorsport on, including some footage taken from the early satellite tv channel called Screensport which was available when Satellite tv became available to the masses.

As for a supply of Video recorders, I find my local charity shop the best place as they tend to sell them with a months guarantee for a fiver !
Closed Thread