UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Nov 2017, 5:02 pm   #1
Radio Tech
Nonode

Default Murphy A122

So here is another project I have landed myself to do, and on initial inspection the dial cord broken and off, all the rubber covered wiring needs replacement, one or two dial lamps u/s, electrolytic capacitors look as if they have been replaced at some stage as one marked radio spares, the other too small for the chassis mount clip, all wax caps (axial ones) will need replacement and most likely leaking electrically like the electrolytic ones, one knob not matching the other three, rectifier looks as if it has had a hard time as covering scorched but all the valves test ok and clearing the usual amount of dust revealed that the paint work on the chassis is like it was in 1944. Here are some pictures of the chassis.

More to follow

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00357.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	152254   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00358.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	152255   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00359.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	152256   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00360.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	152257  
Old 14th Nov 2017, 5:20 pm   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Murphy A122

Hi Ken.

What is the red metalised valve fitted in the rectifier position? Not the UU6 that is usually fitted.
Old 14th Nov 2017, 5:27 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aad0243.htm

?

Lawrence.
Old 14th Nov 2017, 5:38 pm   #4
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Thanks Lawrence, ' never seen a metalised UU6.
Old 14th Nov 2017, 5:52 pm   #5

A set well worth getting going by repair, rather than restoration keeping the history of its life. IMHO the cabinet is worth getting looking brand new, no stain, let the wood shine through, Murphy did make a very good cabinet with style.

They where very modern in design and you may get away with it in a contemporary room, call it the iWood.

Old 14th Nov 2017, 6:33 pm   #6
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

There were quite a few UU series valves that were metallised, and later ones weren't, perhaps they found out that it was unnecessary and fell of anyway.
Looked pretty though.
Old 14th Nov 2017, 6:57 pm   #7
Andrewausfa
Octode

Hi Ken,

Deja vu. That looks almost in exactly the same state as one I had a few years back.

PS. I'm sure Mike Lewis had some A122 etc knobs in his black knob box at the last Harpenden.

Andrew
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF4588a.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	152260  
Old 14th Nov 2017, 7:00 pm   #8
Radio Tech
Nonode

Thanks for the input fellow members, it will be a little while before it is looking like it should, and yes, Murphy strange as it is did make very good cabinets, pressing on, more to follow.

Best wishes

Ken
Old 14th Nov 2017, 7:30 pm   #9
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
A set well worth getting going by repair, rather than restoration keeping the history of its life. IMHO the cabinet is worth getting looking brand new, no stain, let the wood shine through, Murphy did make a very good cabinet with style.

They where very modern in design and you may get away with it in a contemporary room, call it the iWood.
The cabinets weren't actually designed or made by Murphy, but by R.D. Mills and Eden Minns.

In 1930 Gordon Russell – a furniture designer whose business was suffering due to the depression - received a call from Frank Murphy who said “ I am an engineer making radio sets and for some time have admired your furniture – would you like to design and make cabinets for me?” Over the next ten years Dick Russell and Eden Minns designed over 70 radio sets, gramophones and televisions. By 1939 Gordon Russell’s employed close on 1,000 employees, the majority engaged in Murphy cabinet production in a newly built factory at Park Royal, London.

A lovely example of a Murphy baffle set here:

1930 – 1940:

http://www.gordonrusselldesignmuseum.org/six-decades/

Gordon Russell also led the team that designed and arranged the manufacture of 'CC41' utility furniture by firms all over Britain during and after the war years, much of which was of course urgently needed due to people being bombed out of house and home and having to set up home again.

http://www.gordonrusselldesignmuseum.org/six-decades/

The Gordon Russell Design Museum, opened in 2008, is located at Broadway Worcester, in the Cotswolds - where the 'Arts & Crafts' movement originated:

http://www.gordonrusselldesignmuseum...ordon-russell/

I recently mentioned an excellent free 85-page 'e-book' about the history of Murphy cabinet design from 1930 - 1950 and the role of R.D. Russell and Eden Minns - lots of excellent pictures from glass plates rescued from a skip at the Murphy factory in the nick of time. The Author of the book worked at Murphy and was involved in cabinet design with Russel, & Minns. Worth giving the link again:

http://www.*************************..._1930-1950.pdf

I can understand why so many enthuse about Murphy sets of that golden era.

Hope that's of interest.

In many ways, its rather a shame that it often tends only to be the electronics that arouses interest in radio restorations - cabinetry being considered by many as something of a chore.
Old 14th Nov 2017, 8:49 pm   #10

Quote:
cabinetry being considered by many as something of a chore
It is essential for household harmony (a wayleave may be granted for a specially good job too) and you get satisfaction from a whole job well done.

Old 15th Nov 2017, 1:09 am   #11
Refugee
Dekatron

I also have an A122 but mine is the M version with a slightly different speaker fret.
If you need to compare any measurements it is fully working.
Old 16th Nov 2017, 11:53 am   #12
Radio Tech
Nonode

Many thanks for that very interesting article on the cabinet David, I never thought that a different company designed those cabinets for Murphy Radio. Just a little update on the progress so far, I have done quite a bit of the wiring replacement as and where I find the rubber insulation has gone hard and naturally falls of the conductor, most of it is around the mains transformer and power sections. Have now started on the capacitors. More to follow....

Ken
Old 18th Nov 2017, 5:20 pm   #13
Radio Tech
Nonode

Hello Fellow Enthusiast's

Here is an update on the restoration of this set, during the process of renewing some of the wiring I found the screened lead that ran from the volume control to the wafer switch had perished, oh dear, so it was a case of finding something suitable to do the job and as you see from the picture of the wafer assy it required a great deal of quiet and patients to get in there with a soldering iron! phew! But however, I did manage it and then got on with replacing the smoothing caps, I replace one with a dual 16uF and the other with a 10uF, just got to find a large rubber bung to blank the hole off. So have a look at these pictures.

Best wishes

Ken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Drive Cord.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	152455   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Components 1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	152456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom Components.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	152457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wafer Switch.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	152458  
Old 21st Nov 2017, 9:12 pm   #14
Radio Tech
Nonode

Hi Folks

Few of the last pictures of this set, now complete with exception to one control knob, I think Rob who sent the set down to me will be pleased it has now been restored and I will leave it up to you for your thoughts on the look of it now.

Best wishes

Ken
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00367.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	152668   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00368.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	152669   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00372.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	152670   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00373.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	152671  
Old 21st Nov 2017, 9:40 pm   #15
David Simpson
Nonode

Well Ken, you've really had your hands full with your A122. Certainly a great improvement in the end.
As you may have seen, I've just been involved with a A122 "repair services wanted" thread from Aberdeen. Thankfully Richard's A122 wasn't in too bad a nick. Fair bit of elbow grease was needed cleaning & polishing the cabinet, and thankfully the circuitry didn't need too much repair work.
That range of Mazda valved sets have lovely balanced multi-turn tuning, and the audio valves - HL41DD & Pen45 put lovely sound into the speaker with excellent tone & volume control.
If any one else gets the offer of owning or working on one - jump at the chance. One slight drawback is the sheer size & weight.

Regards, David
Old 21st Nov 2017, 11:59 pm   #16
Herald1360
Dekatron

For the "bung" why not just use the dead large can electrolytic that was replaced by a modern one?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 12:46 am   #17
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Thanks for all this usefull 122 info from everyone including Ken, David-Cabinet Design/ overall History and David S [but I don't think they are that big really]. Iv'e got two good ones, must check them out]. It's not hard to see why people get drawn into "Murphy Madness". There is an engaging combination of both the Britsh character and a willingness to embrace "Modernism" from the thirties onwards. Frank M's story would make a good film regardless of the product. Like J L Baird, he was forced out of his own Company

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 22nd Nov 2017 at 12:54 am.
Old 22nd Nov 2017, 12:17 pm   #18
David Simpson
Nonode

Yes Dave, get your two out onto your bench(if its big enough) & give them an electronic cuddle. That range of sloping back Murphy's are a joy to behold. I had a U128, which has very similar circuitry, until quite recently, when I donated it to our local museum. As it had a close link to the late Bill Smith - of "Bill Smith Chronicles" & " Radio Bygones" fame, and who lived nearby. I've still got my Reece-Mace Type N Marine Rx, which again has the same Mazda valve line up. The quality of Murphy's cabinet veneering & the choice of Mazda based circuitry is the most superior of all the wooden domestic sets I've worked on. Good on yer - Ken & Dave - keep on giving Murphy's loads of tlc.

Regards, David
Old 24th Nov 2017, 6:05 pm   #19
robin coleman
Hexode

A wonderful set, I have one. Love the baffle sets. I am missing a few of the sets after the A122. Keep up the good work. The Murphy designs were ahead of their time.

Regards, Robin.
Old 25th Nov 2017, 12:22 pm   #20
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Murphy A122

Hi,
One of the first sets I was given as a kid (and didn't butcher) was one of these. It had lived in a joiner's shop for years and had its fair share of wood shavings and dead spiders within.
Knowing nothing back then of leaky caps, perished wiring, etc., I just switched it on and waited. And waited. After checking that the valves had warmed up, I realised that I hadn't fitted an aerial.
Eight feet of flex out of the bedroom later, I was rewarded by absolute loads of stations and spent hours slowly trawling the short wave band. I still have some scraps of recordings I made off air.
I eventually gave it to an aunt and never saw it again. However, I have now got two more which work well, but need the usual work doing. Goodness knows when I'll ever get round to it, and I imagine I will eventually let them go to a good home.
They are indeed lovely sets.
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A pair of Murphys.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	152828