UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2020, 1:10 am   #1
ianh0901
Diode

Default Converting an Onix telephone (not Onyx).

Hi all,

I'm wondering if you can help out converting this Italian Onix (which is not Onyx, I found out too late) telephone. The terminals do not correlate to britishtelephones.com's illustration which is rather frustrating and there are already a few resistors on the board, making it a bit more complicated than I anticipated. The bell seems to be soldered to the welding points on the upper left corner in the first picture. Any help please? Thanks.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_4256(1).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	201101   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_4257(1).jpg
Views:	105
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	201102  
Old 17th Mar 2020, 6:28 pm   #2
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Default Re: Converting an Onix telephone (not Onyx).

Could you please point out witch 2 wires going to the ringer and to the line plug?

dsk
Old 17th Mar 2020, 6:56 pm   #3
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Ian,

if the Phone works in Italy, I expect it will work in the UK without anything having to be changed.

If I take a new (UK) Phone from the UK to Italy, the only difference is the Line Cord does not have a BT Jack, instead a RJ?? Plug.

Regards - Mike
Old 17th Mar 2020, 11:44 pm   #4
ianh0901
Diode

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your insight, and you are absolutely correct. It came with a legacy Italian tripolar plug, and I did recall there are simple tripolar to RJ11 adaptors out there, which means that the wiring must be compatible. I played around with the combinations and voila it worked! Thanks again.

best

Ian
Closed Thread