UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Mar 2006, 6:07 pm   #1
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sellers at the May NVCF

This is an appeal to those people selling at the next NVCF. Please take some components for sale! We need knobs, variable caps including the solid dialectric type. Also plug in coils, intervalve transformers, power and output transformers. You get the idea. Thanks.
John.
Old 28th Mar 2006, 9:34 pm   #2
af024
Octode

Default Re: Sellers at the May NVCF

Felt washers, lamps, log pots (500k+ with double pole switches), old style resistors, AF117s, tuning cord, cable, cartridges, stylii, idler wheels etc. I quite agree.

Here's hoping ...

Cheers,

Andy
Old 28th Mar 2006, 10:06 pm   #3
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHGibson
This is an appeal to those people selling at the next NVCF. Please take some components for sale! We need knobs, variable caps including the solid dialectric type. Also plug in coils, intervalve transformers, power and output transformers. You get the idea. Thanks.
John.
Are you coming all the way from San Francisco John

Mike
Old 29th Mar 2006, 1:01 am   #4
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mike, I haven't missed a May NVCF in the last 5 years. It certainly complicates my luggage check in at the airport! There are lots of radios and valves at the NVCF but components are thin on the ground.
John.
Old 30th Mar 2006, 8:18 pm   #5
Carl Glover
Retired Dormant Member

Ian Sanders also comes all the way from San Francisco to the NCVF regularly, we share a stall together.
Old 30th Mar 2006, 10:04 pm   #6
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
There are lots of radios and valves at the NVCF but components are thin on the ground.
John.
I've found it a bit up and down. Sometimes there isn't much I've wanted and others I've come away laden. About five years ago it seemed dry for valves. Three years ago there were bags of valves on the search list at sensible prices.

As for components specifically, I'd say it was one of the more reliable venues and I've had hauls of polystyrene caps, some HV electrolytics and tag-strips. You don't see that much in the way of total bargains, like a bagful of silver-mica caps for two quid.

I go to a fair few rallies/hamfests and particularly as far as components are concerned, you have to recognise opportunity when you see it. Too often you only see it in retrospect. All of the rallies are up and down; it's in the nature of them.

"plug in coils, intervalve transformers, power and output transformers", I don't see that many of them anywhere, and when I've seen them it's often been in bulky junk, or from some totally unexpected source.

Have you checked out the Daytona Hamfest?

Is there anything you are looking for in particular?

Pete.

Last edited by XTC; 30th Mar 2006 at 10:18 pm.
Old 2nd Apr 2006, 5:29 pm   #7
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

Pete,
The last few NVCF seened rather low on components, maybe because those of us dependent on public transportation can only manage to trickle in hours after the start, and all the good stuff has long gone. I was thinking specially of those of us who like to construct as well as collect radios.

I would dearly like to find a set of MW and SW Eddystone plug-in coils and a Telsen intervalve transformer at the May fair. The radios I like to construct are those featured in PW and WW in the early 50's. I was a penniless kid in those days and had to read the radio mags standing up by the W H Smith newsstand on the railway station.
John.
Old 2nd Apr 2006, 5:50 pm   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Generally I would expect the stuff to go early to be the nicer sets. Components, magazines etc tend to be the sort of thing people look for later in the day once they have got their fill of sets.

There wasn't a lot of components at the last one (at the motorcycle museum). As a committee member I was there during the setup period and didn't see many components even then.

It may be worth you staying at a nearby hotel overnight and getting a taxi to the hall for the early opening, if you are keen to get in early. Or maybe you could rent a car at the airport?

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 2nd Apr 2006, 6:40 pm   #9
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

John,

Components don't usually shift that quickly. You tend to have to rummage about in the boxes under the stalls as well.

Quote:
I would dearly like to find a set of MW and SW Eddystone plug-in coils and a Telsen intervalve transformer at the May fair. The radios I like to construct are those featured in PW and WW in the early 50's. I was a penniless kid in those days and had to read the radio mags standing up by the W H Smith newsstand on the railway station.
John.
Eddystone plug-in coils and Telsen components are not things I've seen anywhere in the past several years I've been going to rallies. Even things like Jones plugs aren't that common, but once in a blue moon, you go to a rally and there's a shoe box full.

If I see any of the bits you are looking for on my travels, I'll bag them for you if the price seems reasonable. As for the Eddystone coils in partlcular, you could try the Eddystone Users Group. They have a newsletter with ads and a small stock of spares. I assume that the plug-in coils don't have to be Eddystone and that Denco or similar whould do.

I'm sure that a large part of what drives us in this is the realisation of a childhood dream. In my case, I really wanted an oscilloscope and couldn't afford one.

Pete.
Old 3rd Apr 2006, 1:36 pm   #10
Sean Williams
Dekatron

The big problem with components and the like is that whatever you bring, it will not be what people want! (talking from experience)

I think I saw some coild at a BVWS do in Gordano, some years back, but this is the only time I remember seeing anything of the sort.

Cheers
Sean