UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2019, 6:04 pm   #1
steepend
Triode

Default Radford Power Amp probs

Hi,
During the early-mid 1960's i worked on the Radford account in a west end Ad agency. I was not able to afford one at the time but now in my 70's.
I now have a Radford system but my problem is that the right hand channel has gone. I've tried swapping the cables around from L to R with no joy.
Any thoughts will be appreciated. I'm a real Rookie with these things so be gentle with me !

Many Thanks

Steepend
Old 21st Nov 2019, 7:41 pm   #2
snowman_al
Octode

Default Re: Radford Power Amp probs

Hi steepend,
I think this should be in the ''Vintage Audio'' section and will be moved by the Mods soon.

Please answer some questions:
Which Radford amp is it? Do you also use a Radford pre-amp?
When you swapped the cables, did you swap the inputs and then the speaker cables? Make sure you have no problem with your source / pre-amp and that both speakers are working. It is not unknown for a power amp to be blamed when the fault is in the pre-amp or a dead speaker...

Once we know which amp(s) it is we can advise on swapping the valves round from one side to another, assuming it is a valve and not transistor amp etc..
Alan

Last edited by snowman_al; 21st Nov 2019 at 7:50 pm.
Old 24th Nov 2019, 12:03 pm   #3
steepend
Triode

Hi,
Pre amp SC22, Power amp STA 25.
I swapped the cables at the back of the Speakers only...both speakers are OK.
Many Thanks
Steepend
Old 24th Nov 2019, 1:56 pm   #4
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

The STA25 is well thought of even today. Nice unit worth fixing.

But the fault could be in the preamp - try swapping the left and right channel connections between the pre and power. If the fault is heard on the same speaker the problem is the power amp, if it swaps speakers it is in the preamp.

Craig
Old 24th Nov 2019, 2:57 pm   #5
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Radford used PVC-insulated stranded hookup wire in those amps. The early stuff tended to lose its plasticity if it ran warm for any length of time, which it did given that it was wired to the STAs' valveholder tags. The now stiffened wire is prone to snapping, which could explain your symptom (sudden complete loss of one channel). There are other possible explanations too of course.

Cheers,

GJ