UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2020, 8:43 am   #1
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Maps and tools - too many to describe!

maps.nls.uk has a lot of maps, mapping tools, layering, etc.
Too many to describe, take a look. It takes a while to see just what there is and what you can do with the presentation. I am not a geography person, so only had a quick play at our local historical maps. Side by side view is useful.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side...t=LIDAR_DTM_1m

Rob

Last edited by CambridgeWorks; 31st May 2020 at 8:59 am.
Old 31st May 2020, 9:34 am   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Maps and tools - too many to describe!

I've used this site for quite a while to see how much some things have changed, and how much stays the same.

There are many options to chose from, all of them fascinating.

Craig
Old 31st May 2020, 10:10 am   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Excellent mapping site, the 25 inch to the mile as lots of detail from 100 years ago.
Old 31st May 2020, 1:54 pm   #4

Great fun, I wish I had known about it a few weeks ago during my lockdown, back to work now. Openstreetmap is also very good (and editable, I have put on a couple of foot paths) and you can make maps for Garmin devices too from it. Just as well, my latest "walking" Garmin (GPSMAP 66) came with a very "wide" map without any detail, a map from them was about 300 quid, not far short of the devices cost.

Old 31st May 2020, 3:13 pm   #5
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Yes, a great site. I've used the overlay feature to plot local quarries, (pits in nearby fields) where the original denizens of the village dug stone each time they wanted to build a house or barn, on to an OS paper map. I'm talking to the farmers on whose land these overgrown holes now are in the hope that we can get in there and pickaxe out some more stone to build our extension. I love seeing the old names too. Sometimes the pronunciation is the same as the old spelling, even if the modern road signs say otherwise.
Closed Thread