UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Aug 2008, 3:27 pm   #1
radio kronoc
Retired Dormant Member

Default Restoring a Telefunken Opus 8 Cabinet

Hi,

This is my first post here, so go easy on me

I've just rescued a Telefunken Opus 8 from my mother's attic, this was the main (only) radio in our house when I was a young kid (not so long ago either, I'm 32) prior to transistors taking over our home, and I would love to have it take pride of place in my living room.

Unfortunately the wooden cabinet seems to have taken some bashing over the years (I am attaching some photos to the posting). After reading advice elsewhere on the site I am going to buy some wax to polish up the radio, after cleaning any dust and dirt with a damp cloth.

However I don't know what to do about the from bottom left corner. It appears that a large piece of the wooden facing has dropped off at some point in the past. What is the best way for me to (a) repair/replace this and (b) prevent the damage from spreading?

Is it possible to buy pieces of replacement wooden facing? What should I be asking for and where?

Excuse these newbie questions, if it's all answered in some FAQ please feel free to refer me there!

Kronoc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17082008068.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	19214   Click image for larger version

Name:	17082008069-2.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	19215  
Old 17th Aug 2008, 3:40 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Restoring a Telefunken Opus 8 Cabinet

A lot depends on your woodworking skills and how good a job you want to make of it.

In view of the sentimental value, I would be tempted to take the cabinet to a cabinetmaker or other woodworking professional and have it repaired. This is obviously the most expensive option.

You could try to replace the missing veneer yourself. DIY sheds like B&Q sell sheets of veneer, and you will find books in your local library describing how to apply it. You will find it's very difficult to do a good job without the right tools, training and experience though.

A third approach would be to remove the veneer from the front of the cabinet completely and refinish the underlying plywood. This will not look anything like as good as a veneered repair but is within the abilities of most people.

Good luck, Paul
Old 19th Aug 2008, 12:33 pm   #3
radio kronoc
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that Paul.

What I think I will do is first of all look into the idea of doing it myself, but if it looks like it's the kind of thing I might mess up I'll take it to someone to get it done properly.

Is this something a furniture restorer can do, or should I be looking for someone more specific?

Thanks.
Old 19th Aug 2008, 5:59 pm   #4
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Someone capable of furniture restoration should be able to sort it out . It is made in the same way as furniture
Old 19th Aug 2008, 6:03 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio kronoc View Post
Is this something a furniture restorer can do?
Absolutely, this is bread and butter stuff for a furniture restorer, though a tough job for the layman.

Paul
Old 19th Aug 2008, 6:49 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Not necessarily very cheap though, but worth it if it's got sentimentlal value.

Nick.
Closed Thread