UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2019, 12:40 am   #1
K.C.pye1958
Pentode

Default Bush SRP41 sensor missing and sonotone wiring advice

Hello.

I bought an SRP41 and when I examined it I noticed it was missing the sensor, I opened up the cap to look inside thinking it was stuck but can't seem to see it. Therefore is there a way to fix this or will I need to put in a new sensor from a spare BSR and if so is it tricky?

Then I played a record and there seemed a buzzing sound coming through from time to time and I looked at the cartridge and one wire was not connected out of the four so I unscrewed it to have a closer look and low and behold didn't all the wires slip out.

Now I don't know how to reattach the right wires to the terminals, also I can't seem to attach them either properly, ( I don't have reading glasses, perhaps i should see an optician?) as they seem very hard to clip on. I know, should've gone to Specsavers!!

All advice and consolations are welcome.
Old 21st Nov 2019, 12:50 am   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Srp 41 sensor missing and sonotone wiring advice

First off: what do you mean by 'sensor'? Do you mean the Magidisk feeler arm that detects the record size? see here
Old 21st Nov 2019, 1:16 am   #3
K.C.pye1958
Pentode

Yes Ben,
and the good news is i found it was stuck so far in that i had to use a knife to prize it out, now the problem seems that it doesn't spring back up automatically when used eg. a 33 rpm record and wondering is it in need of wd40 or is it out of the cogs so to speak i have watched it as i use the rej mode and all parts inside seem to be working right but it doesn't spring back up, ( i really am incompetent when it comes to these things and don't want to make a bad matter worse in this case so if it is out of sync i would need a diagram or clear instructions how to fix it)
kenneth
Old 21st Nov 2019, 10:19 am   #4
ben
Dekatron

Good news that it isn't missing!
Basically a common problem on these is hardened grease causing what you describe. They're a b****er to get to, unfortunately. Perhaps a bit of oil on the end of a screwdriver applied to the joints as you move it up and down might help but the real cure is a strip down.
Old 21st Nov 2019, 10:52 am   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Can you confirm your cartridge is a Sonotone 8TA with 4 parallel connectors coming from the rear?
Old 21st Nov 2019, 5:40 pm   #6
K.C.pye1958
Pentode

Default Re: Bush SRP41 sensor missing and sonotone wiring advice

Hi Edward,
yes it is the red and gold cartridge, i think it's the original cartridge
Old 21st Nov 2019, 5:43 pm   #7
K.C.pye1958
Pentode

Default Re: Bush SRP41 sensor missing and sonotone wiring advice

Thanks Ben,
in this case there is a cap over the mechanism that i removed so i'll try what you advised and see (Fingers Crossed)
Closed Thread