UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jun 2018, 8:37 pm   #21
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Heathkit RF1U Signal Generator Restoration

I'm pleased that the thread has proved useful. As I already have an RF1U I didn't need another one - I simply bought it for the fun of restoring it so I've since sold it to another forum member who was seeking a generator. I've written it up as an aticle for the BVWS Bulletin, so it should be appear in a future issue.

As a restoration project, it's good that the coil turret is pre-built and factory aligned. Yes, the alignment can have been tampered with by the 'phantom' but the chances are that it won't have been. Hence there's a good chance that a non-worker can be restored back to good working order, and of course, the legendary step-by-step Heathkit construction manual in a great help.
Old 9th Jun 2018, 8:04 am   #22
John10b
Nonode

Thanks to David i am now the owner of the Signal Generator, and I can report it is working well, carrying out Alignment of Bush AC34.
Well done David.
Cheers
John
Old 9th Jun 2018, 10:28 am   #23
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Pleased that the RF1U found a good home John, and is being put to good use, rather than gathering dust on a shelf!
Old 15th Jun 2018, 6:27 am   #24
Peter G3YJE
Triode

mods.dk has a good complete pdf manual for the RF1-U
Old 26th Jun 2018, 11:20 pm   #25
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Great write-up, David, and thanks for sharing a good test gear success story.

I don't have any Heathkit signal generators myself, but I do have a trio of restored Heathkit VTVMs which are still quite useful. My first 'proper' HF rig was a Heathkit SB104A. I think Heathkit was the Elecraft of its day in terms of quality kits.

At one stage I used to speak on a daily basis on 2m to Pat, G3MA, a lovely chap who in retirement still worked for Heathkit in Gloucester.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 6th Nov 2018, 7:08 pm   #26
Farzooks
Tetrode

I've just acquired one of these (grey/silvery case) and the same twin-flex mains lead with the knot is present. Whoever assembled this one didn't leave enough slack behind the knot and the mains cable has been pulled enough to fracture the mains input tagboard.
That's the first job, and I'll ditch the selenium rectifier at the same time.
Overall, it's quite nice and tidy, but some of the soldering isn't great, so I'll re-do a lot of the joints. That's before even powering it up to see if it even works.
The only other faults I've found are the main dial knob and one of the range knobs being loose on their shafts, so nothing major.
Getting back to the mains lead - what were Heathkit even thinking, though? Even in 1967 (date on the main cap) it was normal to fit three-core mains lead on most things, especially items with a metal chassis. If this had been a double-insulated device, I'd have understood, but it's certainly not that.
Actually, the first double-insulated item I recall having was a Hornby trainset controller, and I made sure to find out at the time what that meant. Even that Hornby controller, double-insulated though it was in 1964, had a three-core mains lead.
Old 6th Nov 2018, 7:30 pm   #27
MrBungle
Dekatron

Some Heathkit stuff is shamefully assembled. It doesn’t surprise me.

I put a new mains lead on one of these for a friend eariier this year and replaced the selenium rectifier. The tag board was also cracked. I like the termination if I’m honest as you can solder the earth lead to the centre tag and it’ll Earth the chassis. A stark contrast to their VTVMs which are a sod. I replaced the tag strip put a strain relief grommet in the hole instead of the original knot.

I also removed the selenium rectifier and stuffed another three way tag board in the mounting hole with a 1n4007 instead. Worked nicely. The filter cap pair was also short so I bodged some caps under it and unsoldered the original one.

When they’re working they’re really nice generators.
Old 6th Nov 2018, 8:21 pm   #28
Reelman
Octode

I am lucky to have two of these unbuilt in their original boxes although one is incomplete. Looking forward to actually building them one day. Both were missing the manual and came in boxes that look far too small to actually include the manual unless folded into four.

Would have loved to have built some Heathkits when they were still being sold but was just a poor schoolboy at the time.

Peter
Old 6th Nov 2018, 9:18 pm   #29
MrBungle
Dekatron

I wouldn’t be able to resist building one!

Similar situation here. The moment I had enough money in my life for such things they shut down.

Currently filling the hole with QRP Labs kits
Old 11th Nov 2018, 11:06 am   #30
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I built these two, must have been in the very late 60's. They served me well being a great help in realigning all those I.F. twiddled Philco, Thorn 850 and Sobell TV receivers.

Both have cable clamps and three core mains leads. I resprayed the RF one many years ago as the case was becoming pitted similar as can be seen on the audio version.

Can you imagine anyone building one today? [Not including members of this Forum of course.] John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heathkit (2).jpg
Views:	170
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	172613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heathkit (1).jpg
Views:	139
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	172614  
Old 11th Nov 2018, 4:23 pm   #31
Aerodyne
Octode

Quote:
Can you imagine anyone building one today? [Not including members of this Forum of course.] John.
No is the short and ultimately rather sad answer. Times have changed. Constructors are extremely thin on the ground and those existing are ageing (speaking for myself!).
Not all the old days were good, but Heathkit products certainly were.
Tony
Old 11th Nov 2018, 9:19 pm   #32
MrBungle
Dekatron

I don’t know about that. Things are slightly cheaper, more accurate and have more bells and whistles now: https://qrp-labs.com/vfo.html
Old 12th Nov 2018, 4:57 pm   #33
Aerodyne
Octode

Perhaps I should have said 'home constructors' as opposed to those within the electronics trade or profession. The device you link to appears to require beyond the average skill set of the average guy or gal who built Heathkit generators in the early 1960s!
Bells and whistles notwithstanding, I still consider Heathkit gear to have been generally good. Times have moved on, of course - as it must be.

Tony
Old 12th Nov 2018, 8:04 pm   #34
mole42uk
Nonode

My RF1U is still in active service, although modified with an on-board digital frequency meter.
A super piece of kit.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Closed Thread