UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Sep 2012, 8:11 pm   #21
Steve_bham
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Aerial for apartment (indoors)

Yep that's what I've done MW is good at night. Bit ropey during the day, SW Very few stations. LW only radio 4.

But if your a purist stop reading I've connect a small fm radio so I can get the standard stations via gram input and works a treat.

Thanks for all your help, can you tell this is my first vintage set
Old 1st Oct 2012, 10:27 am   #22
Junk Box Nick
Octode

A trick I used years ago was to hang a length of wire from the curtain rail with a coil of enameled copper wire wound around an old ferrite rod connected the bottom of it and with the other end of the coil fed into the aerial socket - a very crude base loaded aerial. This was utterly random but it made a significant improvement on medium wave. No doubt with a bit of tuning and experimentation with the size of the coil I could have made it work even better.

You'd have to make a bigger coil for long wave, of course or, if you were being really fastidious, by experimentation you could tap the coil with a switch.

It's surprising that your reception of R4 long wave is so poor as Droitwich is only 15 miles down the road.
Old 5th Sep 2014, 8:58 am   #23
jsbhavsar
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Concrete is very bad news because the steel reinforcement forms a very effective Faraday cage. Your best bet may be to throw a length of wire out of the window.
Mumbai and many cities in India with high rise RCC buildings are known for this cages. As these cages came up, so did the radio sale go down in cities here. I do not even feel like turning on my Sony ICF-SW11 World Radio or new brand Panasonic RF-800U radio in my 6th floor Mumbai highrise apartment. Add to it the small size of apartments, dense electronic noise generating equipment and add to neighbors equipment.

These days I simply listen to my MW or SW radio stations on my Xiaomi Mi3 mobile phone using internet chrome where they come live on some internet links.
Closed Thread