UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Feb 2012, 12:00 pm   #21
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default Re: Philips VR-969 S-VHS VCR questions

Due to gears falling off on the undereside of the deck (not by my hand) I have found that all cogs are way out of time. The service notes were a real help but don't touch on the cogs on the underside of the deck. These are quite complex and one of the cogs has a groove which moves the tape tension arm and I can see no 'dot to dot' type marks. If it is this bad, would it be adviseable to seek professional help as I don't want to snap something by my lack of understanding. The deck is too nice for that.
Old 14th Feb 2012, 1:16 pm   #22
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
This may seem like a really silly suggestion, but I've found that having a similar working deck in your hand is worth a thousand drawings. They were so popular that you should easily find one, albeit not in the top of the range version you have.
I have a few base models knocking about that I could let you have if you have no luck locally.
Glyn
Old 14th Feb 2012, 2:33 pm   #23
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanNVJ35 View Post
[the pin was broken. I think someone pushed the tape out and broke them.

So far I have fitted a new pinch roller and cleaned up the mechanism. Next up is glueing the pin back into place and getting the mechanism back into order.
Been there, done that. Albeit on a basic model. I think I just used a self tapping screw of suitable length, which went nicely into the plastic of the base where the pin used to be!
I wouldn't bother trying to glue the pin, as it is put under some strain in use and probably wouldn't last long.
Old 14th Feb 2012, 4:23 pm   #24
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Ben, I have a self tapper ready just perfect for the job here. Goodness knows why they put a hole in that pillar to start with.

Glyn, I have just been checking local eBay listings and none are avaialble so your offer of a deck (or just the complete mechansim) sounds really helpful. I would be able to use it for parts too (like the worm gear and spinning wheel). If you could have a rummage I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Ian
Old 14th Feb 2012, 9:05 pm   #25
Red to black
Nonode

Hi Ian,

I have several paper manuals of this deck, so if you get no joy elsewhere (spare deck or otherwise), I can scan and post, I also think I still have the training video somewhere, But Iam so busy with work at the moment (12 hours) I won't be able to look for the manuals or the video until the weekend, please let me know, or remind me.
Old 14th Feb 2012, 10:36 pm   #26
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanNVJ35 View Post
The service notes were a real help but don't touch on the cogs on the underside of the deck.
The mechanical description in the service manual is more than adequate for lining up the lower gears.

Rich.
Old 2nd Jul 2012, 12:04 am   #27
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Thanks to a YMCA find of a TurboDeck I repaired this VCR. It was damaged and out of alignment due to the forsed ejection of a tape.

The loading arms cental spindle was broken off
The tape tension arm (on the left) was bent
The drive spindle screw was slipping
The pinch roller was beyond help
and it needed a good clean up too.

I have it runing now, but the Philips build quality is not that great as I have found the previously unused S-Video socket is dry jointed and the flexible ribbons to the front panel are broken. It has a computer socket on the rear - what is that used for?

May I ask, does this deck have composite out on the SCART? All it seems to output is S-Video so images are all jangled and monochrome. Is there some menu setting?

Also, how do I set the clock please?

Thanks for any input and help with this rather confounding VCR.
Old 2nd Jul 2012, 6:29 pm   #28
John123
Heptode

Hi Ian, you can still download the instruction manual for this model here (original Philips.com link). Right-click and select 'Save-As' to prevent it from loading in your browser window.
Old 3rd Jul 2012, 11:47 pm   #29
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Thank you John. The manual has answered a few questions, namely the lack of composite output. The clock relies on the flex cables so I need to replace those to set it - it is stuck at 2 minutes to 7 at the moment.

I had to get the whole PCB out to get to the S-Video socket (a tough job) and found a few hairline cracks in the PCB. I have some work ahead of me yet.
Old 5th Jul 2012, 1:58 pm   #30
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Console yourself - the clock is right twice a day!
Glyn
Old 5th Jul 2012, 3:43 pm   #31
julie_m
Dekatron

Actually it's only right once a day, seeing as it's on a VCR .....
Old 5th Jul 2012, 9:39 pm   #32
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
Actually it's only right once a day, seeing as it's on a VCR .....
Being a 12 hour analogue clock I'm lucky that I have twice daily accuracy, however I am finding 2 minutes to 7 rather trying, It is neither here nor there - not yet meal time but too late to start smething new. The sort of time where you are waiting for a train or a concert to start.
Old 25th Aug 2012, 3:06 pm   #33
IanNVJ35
Heptode

If anyone has the parts manual for this, please can you look up the part number of the screened flat flexi audio cable that runs from the microphone socket to the main PCB. Mine is cracked through and it has an unusual pin layout.
Old 25th Aug 2012, 10:46 pm   #34
vhs doctor
Pentode

Sent me pm with your email i have the service manual for the VR-969
Old 6th Jul 2013, 7:31 pm   #35
ROCKYF1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhs doctor View Post
Send me PM with your email I have the service manual for the VR-969
Hello! Could you please share a copy of VR969 service manual? My VR969 worked perfectly, but now plays only sound from tape, while the video signal on the screen is like I plays blank tape without any record. Thank you very much!

Greetings from Ukraine,
Konstantin
Old 6th Jul 2013, 10:52 pm   #36
ROCKYF1
Retired Dormant Member

P.S.: I have found the service manual (on 255 pages) for Philips VR969. While doing a checking for error in service mode I have got the following message: 04 ERR04 value 053. According to service manual ERR04 reads "no impluse in left reel" and 053 means while in playing mode. So the main question is now what does "no impluse in left reel" means?

I would especially grateful if VHS Doctor or somebody else with Philips repairing expirience answers this question, or at least tells me what should better to do next.

Kindest regards from Ukraine,
Konstantin
Old 7th Jul 2013, 11:59 am   #37
Maarten
Dekatron

It means the left reel isn't turning, or the sensor beneath it (a led and a foto diode) isn't working.
Old 7th Jul 2013, 10:09 pm   #38
vhs doctor
Pentode

Clean the video head and the control/audio head.Check all the connections between PCBs and mechanism. Measure with multimeter while the VCR is at play mode the voltage on the video preamplifier circuit also check if you connect the vcr with your tv via RF what happen.
Old 9th Jul 2013, 11:44 pm   #39
ROCKYF1
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you very much for your help! I will try to do what I can and then let you know the result. By the way, I forgot to note that on-screen menu is working while playing tape, but as soon as I quit it I see the blank tape screen again.

Best wishes from Ukraine,
Konstantin
Closed Thread