UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Sep 2018, 12:55 pm   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Dansette Conquest Auto..

Hi, i have just got a Dansette Conquest Auto and when i got it home and powered it up i was dissapointed to find that there is no audio pick up.

The speaker does make a sound eg humming and crackles when knobs are turned but the sound from the stylus isnt coming through...

I noticed a port for a wire in the cartridge but there is no wire, which im guessing is for stereo sound.

Any ideas?

Edit: i unscrewed the cartridge to find the black, blue and yellow wires in the tone arm connected, but not red. Could this be the issue? Or is this a “spare” wire for stereo sound.

Thanks

Last edited by 19Seventy7; 10th Sep 2018 at 1:08 pm.
Old 10th Sep 2018, 1:23 pm   #2
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: Dansette Conquest No Audio Pickup

I connected the red wire yet no sound, i disconnected and tapped and i did hear bizzing, so I'm guessing cartridge has died?

I'm new to restoring fully like this, my last player needed a new cable and a bit of cleaning to get jt working so this is a step up for me as this is my second player.

That wasn't clear to me, sorry...

Thanks for replying
Old 10th Sep 2018, 1:25 pm   #3
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: Dansette Conquest No Audio Pickup

Never mind. I fixed it! Just the little plastic connectors not fully connected. Thanks for all the help!
Old 10th Sep 2018, 2:23 pm   #4
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Dansette Conquest Auto..

I have just bought a Dansette Conquest auto which semi works. My issue with it is that the tone arm doesnt go to the end of the record. It will get to a certain point and just stop playing. I have tested it on both an LP and a single and it happens on both.

The record isnt stuck because if i try to manually move the tone arm over it is stiff and then returns to its hold. How do i fix this?
Old 10th Sep 2018, 2:30 pm   #5
FIXITNOW
Octode

Default Re: Dansette wont finish record

We'll need to know with deck is fitted as there will be an end stop adjustment that will need tweaking. A picture of the deck would help.
Old 10th Sep 2018, 2:35 pm   #6
19Seventy7
Octode

Hi, it's a UA14 I believe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	340E63F0-0C8C-4AA0-B783-CB56D67A666E.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	169048   Click image for larger version

Name:	5BB4C01F-68F9-468F-80F6-EA634041D422.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	169049  
Old 10th Sep 2018, 3:24 pm   #7
terrykc
Rest in Peace

If I've understood your post correctly, when the pick-up reaches a certain point it sticks, rather than lifting up and returning to its rest prematurely.

You will need to remove the circlip that holds the turntable on - being careful not to fire it into oblivion! - and remove the turntable. Set the speed selector between two speeds when removing and especially when replacing the turntable, this causes the idler wheel to retract out of the way.

With the turntable removed, you will see a large toothed wheel which drives the auto-changer functions with a gap in the teeth which puts it into a neutral position.

There is a push rod connected to the arm which should move back and forth very easily. This pushes on a pawl as the pick up moves across the record which attempts to fill the gap in the toothed wheel but it has a friction fastening so that, when it first start to engage the drive, it gets thrown back again because the arm only moves in very small steps when playing a record.

When the stylus reaches the run-out groove, however, everything changes as the movement is sufficient to move the pawl fully home so that the drive engages and the auto mechanism gets to work.

Check that the push rod and pawl move freely. If not, you'll have to located the problem - lack of lubrication, for instance.
Old 10th Sep 2018, 3:24 pm   #8
tracypaper
Octode

Hi.
If the arm lands on the record in the correct place then it is likely to be the Trip Pawl has gummed up, this is on the Cam Gear under the deck and needs to be bone dry when cleaned.
Gaz.

Last edited by tracypaper; 10th Sep 2018 at 3:26 pm. Reason: Spelling correction.
Old 10th Sep 2018, 3:46 pm   #9
19Seventy7
Octode

Yes the arm sticks and does land correctly. I will have a look at it now. Thank you

As I'm a newbie at this, I'm still learning the parts and their names. Would you be able to show me what you mean please?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	169051  
Old 10th Sep 2018, 4:08 pm   #10
Audio1950
Dekatron

The large cog needs to be removed by sliding off the circlip. Once off, you should try to move that flat piece that's attached by another circlip. It should be very loose. If it's not, remove it, and clean every part with white spirit or alcohol, including all the holes. Reassemble, but don't apply any grease or oil, it relies purely on friction. Clean the eccentric groove in the underside of the cog, and smear fresh grease into it. Put a small blob of grease onto the spindle the cog is mounted on, then replace the cog. Job done!
Old 10th Sep 2018, 4:16 pm   #11
19Seventy7
Octode

Do you know any ways to remove that tiny circlip withouth the tool? I used a flat head screwdriver for the other two but this one is too small...

Thanks
Old 10th Sep 2018, 4:51 pm   #12
John10b
Nonode

I use any thing to hand, but usually my watch makers screwdrivers, small blade of knife etc. It’s a bit fiddly but you’ll get there, put your bits and pieces in small container so they don’t get lost.
Cheers
John
Old 10th Sep 2018, 5:43 pm   #13
19Seventy7
Octode

Oh okay. Thank you. All my stuff is in a pot. Would be a nightmare if I lost pieces as I don't have spares.
Old 10th Sep 2018, 8:50 pm   #14
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: Dansette won't finish record.

Hopefully someone sees this, but when trying to replace the cog, it wont go down far enough. The top of its spindle sits flush with the top of the wheel's “mounting.” I can't see what is causing this but I don't want to break anything. I can't replace the circlip.
Old 10th Sep 2018, 8:53 pm   #15
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Have you engaged the runner that rides in the groove under the cogwheel?
Old 10th Sep 2018, 8:56 pm   #16
tracypaper
Octode

Under the cog is a bearing (this should rotate on the mounting, if not warm it up to melt the old grease, clean and re-grease.) That bearing should fit into the groove on the underside of the silver cog, sometimes it pops in if you slightly rotate the cog, other times I have used a small screwdriver to push it in.
Gaz.
Old 10th Sep 2018, 9:00 pm   #17
19Seventy7
Octode

That did the trick! Cheers!
Old 11th Sep 2018, 5:16 pm   #18
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Dansette conquest auto sound issues.

Hi, as some of you may know from previous threads; I have a Dansette to work on and get to know the bits and pieces.
Anyway, the sound on it is very quiet at full volume. The sound is also very low quality and delayed in the sense that the stylus creates sound alone yet the sound from the speakers is much later.

Why is this and how do I fix it? My guess is that a valve or something inside is dying.

Thanks
Old 11th Sep 2018, 5:30 pm   #19
tracypaper
Octode

Default Re: Dansette conquest auto sound issues.

Looking at the pictures on your other thread it is clear that the player has the original BSR TC8M/H cartridge, this will be dud now as nearly all of them are.
It will want swapping for a new stereo or stereo compatible one if you intend to play any modern records on it.
If you want originality, then you need either a Chinese copy or a refurbished TC8M/H, that you can only play MONO records with.
Gaz.

Last edited by tracypaper; 11th Sep 2018 at 5:32 pm. Reason: Grammer
Old 11th Sep 2018, 5:41 pm   #20
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Dansette conquest auto sound issues.

To help you further as Gaz is quite correct, what type of records do you intend to play on this? For example are your LPs from say the 1970s onwards?