UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2016, 7:04 pm   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Sony TC-K55II cassette deck.

This must be the first time ever I've posted a topic in this part of the Forum.

I reckon this 1980s Sony cassette deserves a chance, although up to now I'm not having much success with it. The control functions are erratic, sometimes the reel motor will work when the appropriate buttons are pressed. On occasions the capstan motor will work also but will not switch off.

I doesn't help much not having a service manual for it.

Anyone got any experiences with this model?

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0050.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	121110   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0049.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	121111  
Old 5th Mar 2016, 7:25 pm   #2
sp10mk11
Octode

Default Re: Sony TC-K55II cassette deck.

I cannot remember for sure but do these machines have a door switch that tells the mecha control that the door is open or closed or is it a tape sensor switch that is moved when a tape is inserted, if these are old they could do with a good spurt of switch cleaner in them as they might be intermittent
Gary
Old 5th Mar 2016, 7:38 pm   #3
paulsherwin

If this is a soft touch mechanically operated deck, the mechanism may need cleaning and relubricating. When bits of this start to stick all sorts of strange behaviour can happen. Unfortunately it's a pig of a job to do properly but you may be able to get away with a few drops of machine oil if you can work out what's sticking.

I assume you've already checked that all the belts are OK. Try giving all the pulleys a clean as belt slippage can cause this.
Old 5th Mar 2016, 8:08 pm   #4
Michael Maurice

Service manual available here

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 5th Mar 2016, 8:21 pm   #5
paulsherwin

It looks as if it uses solenoids rather than mechanical assistance, so you don't need to worry about lots of bits of metal sticking together. You do have to worry about the microprocessor though

I would start by having a good search for dry joints around the micro, and checking all the voltage rails.
Old 5th Mar 2016, 9:36 pm   #6
cmjones01
Nonode

We'be had one of these in the family since it was new. As I remember it, the capstan motor runs all the time the power is on. It is fully logic controlled but I can't remember if it detects a cassette being inserted.

Chris
Old 5th Mar 2016, 10:21 pm   #7
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Good evening Gentlemen,
thanks for all your help. I've downloaded the service manual. After establishing that the power supplies are OK my attention will be drawn around the micro controller IC801.

DFWB.
Old 6th Mar 2016, 9:37 am   #8
Mooly
Octode

I too used to have one of these and can also confirm the capstan motor runs continuously.

As a general fault (over many makes and models) the small reel motors can develop problems. Also check for dries around any hot running components such as reulators, motor drive transistors etc.

It was all a long time ago...
Old 6th Mar 2016, 5:54 pm   #9
sp10mk11
Octode

one other thing has come to me about these machines, the grease on the transport dries up, if you remove the flywheel you will see some PTFE parts and they will need removing and cleaning and then re-lubing, I would look at the control IC last, my experience of this type of transport is that if there is a fault it is normally due to a mechanical faliure Ie, switches and or mechanism
Gary
Closed Thread