UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Mar 2016, 10:49 pm   #1
Linnovice
Hexode

Default Tascam MD-801R No Record

Hi all, I have just bought a Tascam MD-801R Mini Disc player recorder. It has come with a fault (which I knew about) in as much as it plays a pre recorded disk ok, indicates a signal that is input but will not record onto disc. i.e.. Set it up to record, check levels and start in record mode. Stop recording and go to play and there is nothing on the disc.
So, I've spent a number of hours today trying to obtain a service manual with the schematic drawings. No luck. I've spoken to the UK repair agents who inform me that the 801 is no longer supported by Tascam and there are no spare parts available. When I requested a manual I was told that they would not supply a manual either. When I pointed out that if they no longer supported them and there were no spares why withhold the manual. I was then told there were no user serviceable items anyway. So apparently if you have dodgy caps, diodes, FET's, etc you are not able to service them. I get the feeling they just want to supply new technology boxes. ****** the service side!
Anyway, to the point. If anyone has or knows where I can get a copy/pdf of the Service Manual for a Tascam MD-801R would they be kind enough to let me know please.
Old 7th Mar 2016, 8:11 am   #2
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Tascam MD-801R No Record

Try writing to Tascam anyway Mike, though not sure who they're owned by nowadays. A nice letter extolling the virtues of other Tascam gear you have and their lovely manuels wouldnt go amiss. David (Radiowrangler) made a good point on a similar thread;- when requesting schematics etc to companies it's a good idea to include the serial # of your device.

Apart from cleaning the optics and tracing AC signals with a scope, I can't offer any advice. BTW, I have some new disks if you want them, drop me an email if so.

Good luck mate, Andy.
Old 8th Mar 2016, 1:58 am   #3
arjoll
Dekatron

Tascam are still a division of Teac - I've found they are still pretty good. It would probably be worth bypassing the UK agents if you are getting no luck there.
Old 10th Mar 2016, 10:10 am   #4
Linnovice
Hexode

Hi guys, thanks for the responses and support. I've taken your advice and written direct to Tascam (on Tuesday) but have not received any reply yet.
It's such a PITA, I bought some recorded discs from eBay and they play really well. Everything works exactly as it should. It leads me to believe the problem is with the laser, I can't think what else it could be. If I could only find out the part number, etc at least it would give me something to look for. At present I'm just PITW!