UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2016, 1:21 am   #1
Michael Maurice

Default Revox A77 End of Tape fault

A number of people have had problems in the past with the End of tape circuit not performing.

I have attached a circuit taken from the service manual.

Checks showed that the photo resistor was operating correctly but for what ever reason was not switching the transistors, so I decided to experiment a bit.

The problem seems to be that Q1 has too much current going through it when in the on state and cant switch Q2 off.

I first changed the opto resistors bias chain slightly by increasing R115 to 1.8K, R118 to 560R and R116 to 1.8K

This appears to have done the trick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	revox a77 eot.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	120941  

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 9:31 pm   #2
8 Tracker
Hexode

Default Re: Revox A77 End of Tape fault

A nice bit of detective work Michael. This fault has been annoying me for ages, but I've never got round to having at look at the cause. Now you've saved me the trouble. Thanks.
Mark.
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 7:49 am   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

You've mentioned R116 twice?
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 9:02 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

It's an emitter-coupled Schmitt trigger, by the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmitt_trigger

There is a feedback loop: Q111 collector > R117 and R120 >Q112 base > Q112 emitter and then back into Q111 via its emitter. It is a common base stage and an emitter follower in a loop, so the loop gain is non-inverting, which is positive feedback.

As Michael says, part of the game with these things is to portion the current appropriately in the two transistors in both states. Q112 has to carry enough current to keep its collector voltage low enough to keep the relays held in, and the thresholds have to be positioned right for the photoconductor to be able to flip the state in each direction when the photoconductor sees the bulb or the tape is in the way.

There's a fair amount of variance from one photoconductor cell to another, and bulbs age as well, so this circuit is a bit of a balancing act to get the tolerances to all fit and stay right over a number of machines being manufactured and over temperature.

David
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 10:34 am   #5
Michael Maurice

Steve thank you pointing that out, I've edited the post so that R116 reads R118 which I changed to 560R

Old 3rd Mar 2016, 11:17 am   #6
stevehertz
Dekatron

Since placing my post a few weeks ago on this very subject, I have not as yet investigated any further, so this latest information could be very useful when I a round tuit. Whatever, would I be advised to change the values of those resistors anyway? Not wanting to dispute Michael's good detective work and electronics knowledge, it seems strange that Revox - a company known for its technical prowess and attention to detail - would get it wrong.
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 11:29 am   #7
vidjoman
Dekatron

Although it's many years since I last regularly worked on a Revox, I can't recall any problem except for the failure of the lamp. It may be that Michaels problem could be caused by an incorrect lamp being fitted and therefor not bright enough to activate the photocell.
Old 4th Mar 2016, 1:26 am   #8
Michael Maurice

The lamp is a standard 24V lamp, the reason I chose those particular values is because if you look at the current through Q111 it is approx 60mA.

Now Q111 is just used as a simple switch to turn Q112 on and off, but if the current through Q111 is high, it may be high enough to prevent Q112 from switching off completely. By increasing R116 to 1.8K, the current through Q111 drops to around 13mA.

The reason I increased R118 was to slightly increase the voltage at the base of Q111

Anyway it worked for me!

Closed Thread