UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Mar 2016, 3:44 pm   #1
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Majestic Mk II

Hi
This tape recorder belonged to my wife's dad, I found it up the loft and decided to give it a clean and service.
Can anyone confirm the actual maker. It has BSR on the tape deck, but this was often the case and other manufacturers used these decks rather than re-invent the wheel.
The maker "Majestic" seems to have made a handful of radios back in the early 1930's, could they have still been around in 1961 when this tape recorder was probably made.

It was interesting listening to the old recording of my wife and her cousin reading from a comic when they were about 11 or 12 years old.

Thanks
Mike

p.s. I see Steve P had one of these and he described it as a "BSR Majestic Mk II." https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=72996
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Majestic_MkII.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	120900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Majestic_MkII_Chassis1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	120901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Majestic_MkII_chassis.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	120902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Majestic_MkII_heads.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	120903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Majestic_MkII_lid.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	120904  

Last edited by crackle; 1st Mar 2016 at 4:12 pm.
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 2:30 am   #2
quiberon
Triode

Default Re: Majestic Mk II

Yes, the deck is a BSR TD2, you can get a manual, (20 pages) for the deck here http://www.shopingathome.com/Military%20Wireless.htm, (not free though).
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 10:33 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The construction, socketry, neon peak indicator and superimpose switch are very reminiscent of this machine from Portadyne Radio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Portadyne.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	120942  
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 10:52 am   #4
brenellic2000
Octode

I think you'll find this is a Maestrovox Majestic - their earlier variant used the Collaro deck. It too was short lived.
Closed Thread