UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Sep 2014, 10:12 pm   #21
Cobaltblue

Default Re: TV transmision reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies View Post
When we lived in West Cornwall for the first five years we relied on the 405 line service with BBC1 from North Hessary Tor and ITA from Caradon Hill. I cannot recall at time when either transmitter failed even during stormiest of weather.
ISTR Caradon masts stay wires being hit by a military aircraft in 1973 the pilot ejected, but the signal was out for quite a while.

I was still at school in Liskeard at the time

Cheers

Mike T
Old 7th Sep 2014, 11:24 pm   #22
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I remember that occasion. I was watching Colditz on my 405 line set upstairs via the North Hessary Transmitter and was totally unaware of this incident until next day on the school bus. As most people had switched over to 625 by then I was one of very few people that were unaffected. Redruth also went down as then it just rebroadcast the Caradon Hill Signal.
Old 8th Sep 2014, 10:07 am   #23
arjoll
Dekatron

I remember in the mid 80's, probably about 1984-85, TV One were broadcasting a series of Marx Brothers movies, which my dad was very keen to record. One Sunday morning Duck Soup was on, but the picture was really bad - lots of loss of sync etc. About half an hour in it suddenly improved, but badly affected by cochannel interference.

These were the days when TVNZ shut down transmitters overnight, and it tuned out that Hedgehope hadn't started up properly. We were picking up Kaukau (Wellington) directly! Invercargill regularly had issues with interference from Wellington on analogue - both Hedgehope and Kaukau were high power sites on channel 1H.
Old 8th Sep 2014, 8:32 pm   #24
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

From my memories of 405-line TV [Sutton Coldfield/Lichfield] in the late-1960s (we couldn't actually get a signal at home because there was a rather large hill in the way - I'd cycle a couple of miles to a friend's house to watch specific programs) there were rather a lot of "We apologise for the loss of your program", "There is a fault on sound" and "Do not adjust your set" closed-captions.

Indeed, a TV program actually called "Do not adjust your set" aired on ITV in the late-60s: many of the performers in this went on to form Monty Python's Flying Circus.
Closed Thread