UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 22nd May 2016, 4:59 pm   #1
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Bakelite Ekco A23 from 1946

I've just finished this one, I won it on ebay for £85 which I consider good value as it’s in very good original condition.
I’m not normally happy having such an item sent through the post but I contacted the seller and he sounded like an enthusiast and reassured me it would arrive safely. It certainly did, he wrapped it in a duvet!
I needed a little help getting to going; the problem being it needed a new rectifier valve. I replaced all the usual capacitors and gave it a good clean and dusting, there was easily an inch of the stuff covering everything inside.
The Bakelite has cleaned up like new and now looks very shinny indeed.
It’s a big Radio at 22 inches wide and must have made quite a statement sitting on a sideboard in someone’s room.
But despite its solid look the Bakelite moulding is surprisingly thin for the size of the cabinet and I would imagine easily cracked if treated harshly.
It does however sound very good, producing a very rich and pleased tone. I’ve wanted one of these for a long time and very pleased with this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3093.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	124855  
Old 26th May 2016, 9:08 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Bakelite Ekco A23 from 1946

I've got a couple of those, one of them was only the second radio I attempted to restore in my early 20's. I agree about the sound, they're great. I can't remember exactly but mine needed the wax caps changing and a little bit of distortion was cured by a new output valve which I ordered NOS from Chelmer valve, I think it was about 8 quid though it was grey rather than red. I re-lined the speaker grille with a cream paint pen from halfords and had to make new preset labels with some sort of plastic packaging film and letraset as the originals were all missing. You need a big sideboard as well!!
Old 26th May 2016, 11:00 pm   #3
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Lovely radio's these, I have one, it was one of the first I bought in 2004 at the NVCF. Lived on a shelf in my old workshop and worked very well! I have never done any work on it, still has it's original cloth and rubber mains lead. I like the way the lights change between the main dial and the presets too, nice touch. The only other set I've come across so far that does a similar thing is a big bakelite Murphy that switches the lamp on behind each waveband on the dial depending on which is selected.

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 27th May 2016, 12:23 pm   #4
slidertogrid
Octode

I hankered after one of these for a long time. my friend had one in his collection in the late 1980's . This was before I had heard of the BVWS.
I trawled antique fairs and secondhand shops with no luck.
I finally got one in around 2002 from Harpenden auction. It was a real bargain I think I paid £10.
I have since bought the wooden version that has a magic eye.
Fantastic sets much underrated by a lot of collectors until fairly recently IMHO..
Rich.
Old 31st May 2016, 9:20 pm   #5
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
Fantastic sets much underrated by a lot of collectors until fairly recently IMHO..
I agree, it has been an underrated set, maybe the size of them has puts peole off.
I'm always amused when you take the back off and view the insides, there's a lot of space. The radio could have easily been made a third smaller.
I think it was designed to impress, it certainly does that in sound as well as looks.
Old 1st Jun 2016, 7:20 am   #6
slidertogrid
Octode

The quality of Ekco's Bakelite seems to be better than some. My set only needed a clean and a polish with wax to bring up a really impressive deep shine.
I don't know if I was lucky with my set but there was no oxidization on the Bakelite that needed cutting back like say, an average DAC90A.
My set was displaced to the spare room some time ago by a Nordmende Meteor, I think I'll swap them over for a while, who wants to listen to FM anyway?

Rich.