UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Oct 2018, 10:30 pm   #1
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Default Murphy A104: A curiosity...

In the process of refurbishing a Murphy A104, some rust in places...

Currently working on the SW bandspread projector system.

Backplane very rusty.

Photographs show as found and after some clean up.

Q. Anyone know why the steel has a pattern of indents on some faces and not on others?
I'm guessing it's a result of how it was held during manufacture from sheet steel, a process of several stages, I would imagine.

As you can see, the mirror will need replacing. Not sure with what yet, obtained a sample piece of some mirror backed acrylic which could be sized easily with a razor saw, but it's at least twice as thick as the glass...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	170855   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	170856   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	170857  
Old 14th Oct 2018, 2:11 am   #2
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Re: Murphy A104: A curiosity...

It is an interesting set up, I don't think Murphy used this projection system in any of their other sets, I have a A104 to fix in my collection and often thought it would be fun seeing this system in action.
Looking at the steel bracket I think the sides with the indents are probably a rather vague way off adding a bit more grip to the lenses and mirror units that attach to it.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 11:39 am   #3
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

The dimpling on pressed parts is due to the press they used. It was held in a press and then bent over a custom tool, hence no dimples on the bent part.
Quite common on older presswork.

The projection system is clever and works well when set up. My 104A is excellent with the original mirror.
Try for a piece of polished stainless steel rather than glass, I will be cutting some next week if you want a piece. PM me the size etc if you wish.

Is the bulb holder a bit sick?

Sam

Last edited by Boater Sam; 14th Oct 2018 at 11:40 am. Reason: added
Old 14th Oct 2018, 12:12 pm   #4
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Gents: Thanks for your thoughts.
Sam: I've messaged you; the bulb holder is a bit rusty, but I think it will do.
Regarding the dimples / press - that was my hypothesis (only because I've seen similar regular patterns left behind on sheet metal by a vice).
Picture of bulb holder attached...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bulbholder.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	170908  

Last edited by Nanozeugma; 14th Oct 2018 at 12:17 pm.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 12:50 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I've got one of these sets in a very rough state overall but the projection bits are all there so this is an interesting thread from my point of view-the whole 104 will need a lot of work. I did a bit of a search when I got it and there doesn't seem to be any other "projection" model as Clive says [and he should know!]. It's not surprising really as i imagine that feature would have added to the production cost when perhaps it wasn't so essential. I'm reminded of the !Teleflix" [Combination Letters/Numbers] Dial designed to aid station location but only used in a very few sets [not Murphys].

Dave
Old 14th Oct 2018, 3:07 pm   #6

It is well worth getting the projector mechanism working, a joy to behold (I did a thread on it a few years ago https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=62003 ). None of the stations on the dial exist anymore, perhaps it's time for a SW version of the MW pantry transmitter just for the A104?

Old 14th Oct 2018, 5:11 pm   #7
stitch1
Heptode

I also have an A104, my father bought it in the late 70's early 80's it's one of my favorites it performs very well on all bands but the projector system is especially interesting and good fun setting it up, I think I had to replace the drive cord too. The polished steel sounds like a good idea, I replaced mine with a broken piece of a vanity mirror.

It's listed in the V&A collection:http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O3...o-thwaites-af/

John
Old 14th Oct 2018, 5:46 pm   #8

I bet poundland do a powder puff case with mirror (in pink, for a pound) glass cutting is easy if you don't think about it.

Closed Thread