UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Apr 2012, 7:09 pm   #81
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: Crystal Palace DSO is looming...

There's a video of what happened on BBC2 last night, posted by someone on another forum. Click Here
The announcer mentioned that BBC2 was Europe's first regular colour TV service, switched over from black and white in 1967.
I watched the changeover from the relay transmitter at Downley, High Wycombe. I expected it to switch over to ITV1 almost immediately but it didn't. Instead, ALL the analogue channels went off from the High Wycombe relay transmitter around 12.30am. At 12.55am BBC1 came back on air, followed by Channel 4 at 1.07am. I stayed up and watched the "KOTV" boxing programme on Channel 4. By the time it had finished (soon after 1.30am) ITV1 was back on BBC2's old frequency.
This morning (7.15am) I scanned for channels using a Panasonic Freeview box and indoor aerial pointing at the High Wycombe relay transmitter. It picked up the BBC digital TV and radio channels and stored them in the correct numerical order withot crashing. I was amazed - this was the box I had almost given up on, and didn't expect it to work due to out of date software. The engineers must have been working all night to get the TV switched on again in High Wycombe. Last night's weather was terrible, too.
This morning at work, 3 people asked me if I had any spare Freeview boxes. It seems not everybody has switched yet.
Old 4th Apr 2012, 8:34 pm   #82
Sideband
Dekatron

I've just retuned my very old first generation Philips OnDigital Freeview box. It found 134 channels but there is no BBC1 or BBC2. However I do have BBC4. I was amazed it worked at all.

Rich.
Old 4th Apr 2012, 8:36 pm   #83
KeithsTV
Nonode

The "new" multiplex with BBC2 will be at a higher power than before. It will also have changed from 16QAM 2k modulation to 64QAM 8k modulation. This change can cause some freeview boxes not to see the new multiplexes. This happened to me when Emley Moor switched over rendering one of my boxes useless. It was an old box though and although it could be updated to cope with 8K modulation there are no software updates available for it.

It is also possible that some of the digital channels will be duplicated during the changeover period.

I can't remember when the Emley Moor signals returned but they were certainly there in the morning around 7am having been switched off around 12-30. I believe the main transmitter switches first then the relay transmitters are switched back on in stages.

Keith

edit: Richard the lack of BBC1 & BBC2 may be due the it not seeing the new multiplex as it's changed to 8k. If this is the case it will become a brick in two weeks time.
Old 4th Apr 2012, 8:49 pm   #84
mark pirate
Dekatron

I will dig out my old Philips boxes and see if they are still usable. I had to do a factory reset on both of my Humax boxes, both of which now work fine.

I have not really got a decent increase in signal since the analogue was switched off. Some channels, although working, are showing a low signal.

It will be interesting to see if I still suffer breakup in bad weather.

Mark
Old 5th Apr 2012, 12:33 am   #85
Michael Maurice

I started at 7.00am and finished at 11.30pm retuning peoples TV's, Freeviews etc.

The question that everyone asks is why two dates for retuning. Does anyone have an answer to that? Surely switch all analogue off and be done with it.

I visited 22 homes and a hotel, the hotel is interesting because the system converts the output of digital receivers to Analogue at VHF which is piped round the hotel. The whole thing is controlled by a program on a PC.

I shall now rest my weary head upon a pillow and wake up (hopefully) in time for my first customer - at 7.00am!

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 5th Apr 2012, 7:11 am   #86
dsergeant
Octode

Surprised you were that busy Maurice. Just like when Hannington switched in February I have not had a single phone call or even a mention from people in the street. Here in Bracknell many are on cable or satellite, guess the rest know how to retune their sets. It all seems to have gone very smoothly with none of the glitches we had at Hannington.

Yes, that OnDigital box will be useless now with the 8k modulation. You get BBC4 because that is duplicated on one of the existing 2k multiplexes. In a fortnight you will have nothing.

Found the sound level very low on that Youtube clip.

Dave
Old 5th Apr 2012, 8:53 am   #87
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I have not had a single enquiry from any of the customers at the garage here at Horsham. They have either retuned their boxes themselves as I would imagine 99% of them were purchased at supermarkets and they just had to learn how to do it or live without! I suspect most have satellite reception due to variable quality from the Midhurst transmitter. It will all be over soon Michael and you can go back to sleep. Take care, John.
Old 5th Apr 2012, 9:08 am   #88
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV View Post
The "new" multiplex with BBC2 will be at a higher power than before. It will also have changed from 16QAM 2k modulation to 64QAM 8k modulation. This change can cause some freeview boxes not to see the new multiplexes.

edit: Richard the lack of BBC1 & BBC2 may be due the it not seeing the new multiplex as it's changed to 8k. If this is the case it will become a brick in two weeks time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsergeant View Post
Yes, that OnDigital box will be useless now with the 8k modulation. You get BBC4 because that is duplicated on one of the existing 2k multiplexes. In a fortnight you will have nothing.

I must admit to being somewhat out-of-touch with digital transmissions having been away from the trade for nearly four years. I was aware that there was 16QAM and 64QAM transmissions and the old OnDigital box could cope with those. I know ITV used one version and BBC the other and when selecting from ITV to BBC, there were a few seconds delay while the box sorted itself out. This didn't happen when going (say) from BBC1 to BBC2 which was almost instant. Do you know if anything else has changed (apart from the increase in power)?

At the moment, I'm not convinced that the 2k/8k difference is the problem. Of course I'll know for sure in two weeks!

Rich.

Last edited by Sideband; 5th Apr 2012 at 9:16 am.
Old 5th Apr 2012, 3:53 pm   #89
Brased
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by raditechman View Post
I like the idea of the Crystal Palace transmitter being illuminated for the switch off.(mentioned at the end of the video report). Must go and see that.
John
There's a bit in our local freebie. They (Arqiva) are installing 200kW of 'energy-efficient' lighting, apparently 6 tonnes of equipment, for a light show at 9.15pm on 18 April. They are using 7kW, billion candlepower search lights, to produce the beams. These are to be are installed 130m above the ground.

It'll make a change from the usual red aviation warning lamps on the tower. I suppose Beulah Hill will be in mourning that night for the loss of its TV service.
Old 17th Apr 2012, 7:48 pm   #90
radiolot
Tetrode

Well, I've just bought a nice bottle of wine, settled in front of my old set with the CP mast visible from my back window for the 625-line death.

Before I uncork the bottle, and apologies to Jeffrey for asking earlier and forgetting now, at what time is the execution? Is it between 12 midnight and 2am tonight (early 18th April) or tomorrow night (late 18th April)?

I aint missing this for the world (bearing in mind I was 7 when 405 line was sent to the gallows)

cheers
Laurence
Old 17th Apr 2012, 8:05 pm   #91
radioredcat
Hexode

I reckon that BBC 1 will go off at 00:10 at the program junction the same as the 5 DSO's I have seen the rest just go off mid program.

Reception from crystal palace ch 33 has been very poor since 2 weeks ago and so has Croydon so I presume the analogue services has been on reduced power.

Anyway good luck with stage 2.

Andy
Old 17th Apr 2012, 8:18 pm   #92
radiolot
Tetrode

Crokscrew polished and waiting.

Goodbye 625, thank you for serving us so well and for carrying the world on your shoulders..

A carrier wave of faith and buzz,
Along the air you breathe and fly,
Born from the masts of high and received from points so low,
For us, your servants, we watched you laugh, play and cry,

We miss you already, we miss you we will,
For all the days you brought us light and sound,
Let there be the same lament for you as 405,
And go round to Gerry's when we want you around,

When you came in the world we thought 'modern nonsense',
But now we eat our words,
Cos now we have something far more modern,
Transmitted by masts that look like turds,

So, goodbye then, dear sweet 625,
A big cuddle from a worshipper of many,
I'm watching you right now as I type,
But trust you to run Eastenders where Steve is having a row with Renee.

Night night.

Lau x
Old 17th Apr 2012, 8:26 pm   #93
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

And the McGonagall prize for poetry is awarded to.......

Lawrence Fisher
Old 17th Apr 2012, 9:12 pm   #94
murphyv310
Dekatron

Bye Bye
Old 17th Apr 2012, 9:18 pm   #95

Ah well, goodbye 625 analogue, I am still supprised (not for long now) at the quality the LCD TV we have in the kitchen makes from the 'old' PAL signal. Somewhat better than a fully analogue TV I think. Now all we need is good programmes to fill all those channels!

Old 17th Apr 2012, 9:26 pm   #96
AidanLunn
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Somewhat better than a fully analogue TV I think.
I think many here would disagree

Well, I will say goodbye to old 625 from CP now, it being the first in the country to transmit System I. Goodbye 625 CP. Being the first, a small pity you weren't the last.
Old 17th Apr 2012, 9:48 pm   #97
Refugee
Dekatron

I would say that the timing is not that complicated.
the eighteenth of April starts at 00:00 and runs until 23:59 so this means that they will begin shutting it down starting after midnight. That is in just over a couple of hours from now.
Old 17th Apr 2012, 9:50 pm   #98
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Goodbye analogue, Tonight's the night! I shall miss the old Ceefax/Teletext service, always preferred it to the Freezeview version. The ITV 1 analogue signal is now too weak to resolve text but BBC1 and C4 still function.

Regards, Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bbc1 text.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	65265   Click image for larger version

Name:	channel 4 text.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	65266  
Old 17th Apr 2012, 10:17 pm   #99
AidanLunn
Heptode

Let us not forget this transmitter's many achievements for this system, which include

The first transmitter in the UK to transmit 625 pictures
The first transmitter in the world, I believe, to transmit 625 line PAL colour pictures
The first transmitter of teletext
The first in the world to transmit NICAM stereo

As well as the:

First transmitter of DAB radio
First transmitter of both HD and DVB-T2 Freeview services

Any other ones I've forgotten?

And what about poor old Croydon as well? When will that be going off?

Last edited by AidanLunn; 17th Apr 2012 at 10:40 pm.
Old 17th Apr 2012, 10:25 pm   #100
mark pirate
Dekatron

Farewell analogue, you have served us well, you will be thought of well when we are suffering all those digital dr p o t's

Mark
Closed Thread