UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2018, 3:06 am   #41
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: ViewMaster TV restoration.

Hi David.
I see from the date of the thread you referred to, that you take time before be back to this set restoration..
I understand, this chassis look terrible with all this rust. I have worked on such rusty things time ago, but it was on vintage broadcast receivers.
I know, we have to be that passionate to get into such restoring job !
Roger
Old 27th Mar 2018, 8:03 am   #42
Viewmaster
Hexode

Gosh brings back memories. I built a Viewmaster back many, many years ago.
Watched the 8 o/clock TV news upside down as the vert scan coil was reverse soldered.

Hence my forum name in memory of those exciting years.
Old 27th Mar 2018, 9:26 am   #43
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I must take my hat off to you David. One thing I hate is rust! Nothing more destructive to anything mechanical or electrical.

From you pictures and explanation, is that the chassis your Uncle Sid threw off the Tyne Bridge in 1961? Funny how things go full circle then come back to clout you. I expect the CRT is still bobbing about in the estuary.

PS I dug out my Viewmaster chassis a few moments ago. I robbed the CRM92 out of it a couple of years back and fitted it with an ex radar tube, a 7" dual phosphor 7FP7.

It gives a very good stable picture, a lot better than many of the commercial receivers available at that time. The sync is solid and drift free.

The RCA 7FP7 gives a good test card but due to the L O N G persistence can be a bit weird on moving subjects. Back phosphor is short persistence blue. At the visible end is very long green.
The green picture is still visible 20 seconds after switch off!

Good luck with yours David, John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Viewmaster (1).jpg
Views:	371
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	160089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Viewmaster (2).jpg
Views:	335
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	160090  
Old 27th Mar 2018, 9:50 am   #44
rogerdup
Retired Dormant Member

Forgive my ignorancy.. But this same crt can give either green or blue pictures? How it could be possible? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Roger
Old 27th Mar 2018, 9:55 am   #45
Panrock
Nonode

Roger, I would guess that HKS' second green picture shows the long persistence residue that remains for some time after the set is switched off.

The twin phosphors sound similar to those fitted to the CV2810 tube on my 'Argus'.

Steve
Old 27th Mar 2018, 10:09 am   #46
peterpixel
Pentode

I started in the tv trade in the 50s and I remember a customer bringing in a View master that he had constructed saying it didn't work.After an examination it was found that every joint was made of a soft material and was non conductive.The customer was asked about this and he said he had used a product called "Plastic Glue"which was a silver coloured adhesive.The set finally worked after an apprentice was given the job of cleaning off the stuff and soldering with the metal stuff.Those were the days,apprentices indeed.
Old 27th Mar 2018, 11:22 am   #47
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpixel View Post
I started in the tv trade in the 50s and I remember a customer bringing in a View master that he had constructed saying it didn't work.After an examination it was found that every joint was made of a soft material and was non conductive.The customer was asked about this and he said he had used a product called "Plastic Glue"which was a silver coloured adhesive.The set finally worked after an apprentice was given the job of cleaning off the stuff and soldering with the metal stuff.Those were the days,apprentices indeed.
I like that did it work OK? One of my school teachers built a viewmaster and we use to wander around the school playground discussing it, haven't heard about one of those for years. I used to save up my pocket money to buy 'Wireless World' it was 2/- I only got 1/6d I still have some in
the loft dating from about 1950.

Peter
Old 27th Mar 2018, 11:38 am   #48
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panrock View Post
Roger, I would guess that HKS' second green picture shows the long persistence residue that remains for some time after the set is switched off.

The twin phosphors sound similar to those fitted to the CV2810 tube on my 'Argus'.
I used a 5FP7 in my slow-scan monitor (8 seconds per frame).
The irony is that with a blue filter over the screen the same CRT gave a good account of itself illuminating a 931A PM tube in a fast-scan flying-spot scanner.

I'm guessing that the bright blue flash trace phosphor is necessary to stimulate the orange long persistence phosphor.
Old 27th Mar 2018, 3:08 pm   #49
peterpixel
Pentode

On further stirring of the grey matter the adhesive mentioned in my earlier post #7 was Plastic Solder which possibly explains the poor constructors confusion,as well as my own.Peter.
Old 27th Mar 2018, 8:05 pm   #50
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Etch primer applied to all surfaces of the chassis. Next stage will be the final finish. This will be metallic grey. A spray can of this colour was purchased from the local Lidl store. Product brand name "Baufix"

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0115.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	160108  
Old 28th Mar 2018, 8:37 am   #51
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

That looks really good David. The timebases should prove to be quite an easy job to reassemble.

Hello Roger, not a stupid question at all. The 'twin' phosphors are laid on top of each other. The very long green at the front of the face plate with the very short persistence blue poured over it and facing the gun.

This is activated by the electron stream and this in turn fires the front layer.

I would imagine that the long persistence coating is not actually activated by the electron stream but is activated by the light from the bright blue short persistence 'backing' rather like the glowing hands on the old fashioned watch.

The second picture shows the long afterglow 20 seconds after switch off. This was of course required when tracking Radar indications.

The rather odd picture shows the 'back' of the screen showing the blue phosphor.

If you need any of the Viewmaster details David, I have a Viewmaster constructional pack. John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7FP7.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	160112  
Old 28th Mar 2018, 9:13 am   #52
rontech
Heptode

Thanks Panrock for the mention of "Argus"

I started to build one from a a booklet and blueprint diagram back in 1956. I could not remember the name of the set. I obtained an ex WD radar unit which contained a VCR97 and some red Sylvania EF50s ( I think ), RF pentodes. I built the main power supply and also the EHT supply for the tube. Then, being a student I ran out of funds and also needed lots of of time for study etc. Happy days. Project never got completed.
Old 28th Mar 2018, 10:22 am   #53
Panrock
Nonode

For reference, the Argus building details are HERE.

Steve
Old 28th Mar 2018, 8:52 pm   #54
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The RF chassis isn't too pretty either and will receive the de-rusting treatment.

The vision and sound RF amplifier valves are EF50 pentodes. The sound detector is an EBC33 or 6Q7G/GT and the sound output an EL33 or Mazda 6P25. The vision detector and sync separator an EB91 or Mazda 6D2. Video amplifier is an EF50.
This very simple circuit is capable of excellent performance, as good as any commercially made TV set of those times.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0120_12.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	160148  
Old 29th Mar 2018, 1:35 am   #55
Alistair D
Nonode

Articles on the Viewmaster appeared in the following issues of PTV:
Apr-Jul 1950
Jun 1951
Dec 1951
Apr 1952
Oct 1952
Apr 1954
Jan-Feb 1956
May-Jun 1956
Jan 1957

The magazines can be found at http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...n_Magazine.htm

Al
Old 30th Mar 2018, 11:20 am   #56
Peter.N.
Dekatron

The 'Argus' I remember well, a friend of mine built one. he made a wooden framework and cut the chassis panels from a sheet of zinc. A very neat job he made of it too, I don't actually remember seeing a picture on it but I did hear the sound to 'Muffin the Mule or the 'Flower pot Men' or something similar.

The supply of VCR97's and EF50s was almost inexhaustible back then, there was even a surplus shop in Orpington where he lived. I tried constructing a small one using a VCR138a and EF91s but I don't think I actually finished it. I did though build most of a 'Denco' 9" kit which sat on an upended orange box in the corner of the lounge with a table cloth over it when it wasn't in use.

Those were the days,

Peter
Old 30th Mar 2018, 3:52 pm   #57
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I wonder how many careers were started with a CV that stated that the applicant had built his own television set?
Old 30th Mar 2018, 4:00 pm   #58
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpixel View Post
On further stirring of the grey matter the adhesive mentioned in my earlier post #7 was Plastic Solder which possibly explains the poor constructors confusion,as well as my own.Peter.
Yes, rather a misleading name - just a metal-loaded glue of some sort.
As a kid of perhaps 6 years old wanting to try my hand at electronic construction, but not allowed (or able to afford) a soldering iron, I persuaded my parents to buy me a tube of this stuff. I soon found out it was no good for electrical work.
Old 30th Mar 2018, 4:33 pm   #59
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Reassembly of the ViewMaster timebase chassis will commence when the new paint is thoroughly dry and hard.
TCC capacitors were employed in the ViewMaster, many are of the "Metalmite" type and difficult to re-stuff so the replacements will be the alternative TCC paper dielectric types 343 and 543 with brand new hi-viz capacitors inside.

DFWB.
Old 31st Mar 2018, 10:33 am   #60
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
I wonder how many careers were started with a CV that stated that the applicant had built his own television set?
I think in the '50 that would have been quite acceptable. I started in the trade with no qualifications whatsoever but I could repair TVs, there was such a shortage of engineers at that time firms were desperate.

The only qualification I got in my life was a pass in the City and Guilds radio amateurs examination and that was years later - my wife got one too.

Peter
Closed Thread