UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2019, 1:51 pm   #21
leslie5555
Heptode

Default Re: Ace Record Player Valves

I didn't notice the first pot has no connections well done thanks Techman
Old 16th Nov 2019, 3:01 pm   #22
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Most players of ths period would have used an ECL82/UCL82 on a rather small chassis.
Is there something "home brew" about that amp - its generous chassis, its construction, the transformer sizes and those odd-choice valves?
Old 16th Nov 2019, 3:27 pm   #23
paulsherwin

While I agree it's unusual, the EF37A in particular did stay in production for a long time - it was used in a lot of professional and military equipment and there was a healthy replacement market.
Old 16th Nov 2019, 3:46 pm   #24
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It may be that the original amplifier was of limited ability and the owner built this one to fit.
I can't think of any manufacturer that produced an octal based amplifier of this rather crude construction in the mid 50s let alone the 60s. Saying that if the amp is overhauled I expect it would be capable of a surprising performance!
Valve manufacturers produced valves that were 'current' for new receiver production and 'replacement' types for service replacements. They were not keen on manufacturers using obsolescent valves for new production unless current types were not available for the purpose.
I believe ACE were part of the Regentone group supplying mail order houses and furniture stores but were always up to date with their production. They would never have produced this 1940's style amplifier even if they had been given the valves for nothing! Hope you get it working. Simple circuit that will belt it out, all being well. John.
Old 16th Nov 2019, 5:19 pm   #25
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

There is no doubt about it that all the other ACE Radiograms and Record players from the early 1960s all used the then current B9G miniature valves.
Old 16th Nov 2019, 6:26 pm   #26
julie_m
Dekatron

I agree the most likely explanation for the anachronistic amplifier is that the player has been "upgraded" by a previous user. All new consumer equipment by the 1960s was using miniature 9- or 7-pin valves, but octal types would have been available cheaply as surplus stock to anyone looking to build an amplifier.

Home brew isn't necessarily bad, just give it a quick check for any real glaring errors but if the construction looks good, it probably is good (and whoever built it obviously liked it enough to keep it, otherwise they would long since have altered or scrapped it).
Old 19th Nov 2019, 10:11 pm   #27
leslie5555
Heptode

After fitting a new mains lead and plug then powering it up via my lamp limiter all appears to be well with no horrible buzzing or hum and stroking the stylus tells me the BSR X5M cartridge is also working well.
My next job is to check the various components and see if anything needs replacing.
I have posted some more photos and it looks a bit messy to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	193962   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	193963   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	193964   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	193965  
Old 19th Nov 2019, 10:19 pm   #28
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
There is no doubt about it that all the other ACE Radiograms and Record players from the early 1960s all used the then current B9G miniature valves.

Not sure EF50s quite fit that description
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Nov 2019, 10:36 pm   #29
ms660
Dekatron

I'd change that Wima g1 coupling capacitor PDQ.

Lawrence.
Old 19th Nov 2019, 10:44 pm   #30
leslie5555
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post

Lawrence.
There's another one you can just see it poking out from behind the mains switch in picture one .
Are they special caps?
Old 20th Nov 2019, 10:45 am   #31
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie5555 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post

Lawrence.
There's another one you can just see it poking out from behind the mains switch in picture one .
Are they special caps?
No, they're just known to leak like many other makes.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 20th Nov 2019 at 11:07 am. Reason: addition
Old 20th Nov 2019, 11:56 am   #32
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Not all Wimas leak. Radford used the red cuboid ones (MKS series if I remember rightly) in their STA15 and STA25 amplifiers in the 1960s and, like the Mullard mustards, I haven't come across a bad one yet. Remarkably they're still on sale https://uk.farnell.com/wima/mks4g032...-pet/dp/148905 !

The small electrolytics in those amps however ...

Cheers,

GJ
Old 20th Nov 2019, 1:34 pm   #33
AC/HL
Dekatron

Nicknamed "toffees" or "black bombs", they were yet another attempt at cheaply encapsulating paper capacitors, and suffered the same fate as all the others. Later ones are plastic dialectric and usually OK.
Old 24th Nov 2019, 8:03 pm   #34
leslie5555
Heptode

To conclude after replacing 2 capacitors and 1 56k resistor, plus a full service on the deck.
HT is 250v although I don't know what it should be but it seems reasonable to me, plenty of volume so I reckon it's all good.
Thanks for all your replies.
Les.
Old 28th Nov 2019, 5:35 pm   #35
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The Wima chocolate toffee's used to snap short circuit in the Decca DM45 series TV receivers and the early Grundig tape recorders. They must be changed as suggested. J.
PS I see you now have it working. Great news.
Old 28th Nov 2019, 7:27 pm   #36
Techman
Dekatron

I agree regarding these capacitors, I've also found them going dead short in old Grundigs. People go on about the Hunts, but generally in the same type of circuit positions the Hunts just tend to go leaky, whereas those other type in the Grundigs give no second chances!
Old 28th Nov 2019, 9:24 pm   #37
Sideband
Dekatron

One of my first experiences with those old Wima's was when I first entered the trade in 1970. I had been made aware of them previously but not actually encountered one. It was a Grundig tape recorder I think a TK25 and the customer said there was no output, a hum and it seemed something was getting very hot. Opening up the recorder and applying mains it wasn't long before the output valve was glowing like a candle...I think it was something like an EL95. Initially I thought the output transformer was O/C primary but a resistance check proved otherwise. I then noticed a proliferation of these Wimas. I started checking a few then found one dead short......it was the coupling capacitor from the ECC83 anode to the grid of the EL95. Snipping one end proved the cap was duff. Fitting a replacement cured the glowing EL95 and even more amazing the valve still worked. The workshop manager/chief engineer advised changing it all the same since it would have been severely overrun and would probably fail sooner rather than later.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 12:11 am   #38
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
The workshop manager/chief engineer advised changing it all the same since it would have been severely overrun and would probably fail sooner rather than later.

And of course the extra return from a valve replacement as well as a few capacitors couldn't possibly have figured in the equation.....
.........O..Chris....O
Old 30th Nov 2019, 5:05 pm   #39
leslie5555
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post

The other pot on your amp has an on/off switch which is not being used, so indicates that this pot has been replaced at some time, or that the amplifier is in fact made up from random parts after all.
The 'other' pot is part of the circuit and is the volume control, the on off switch also adjusts the tone and the third one is for the base.
Closed Thread