UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2007, 5:03 pm   #1
Matthew
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hello ! Also: Sony reel to reel not recording very well....

Hello, I'm a newbie here, and have been looking around your site and find it all fascinating.

I've been interested in old reel tape recorders and record players for over 20 years, but it was only about three years ago I purchased a Sony TC-377 reel, which I bought for it's stereo and three speed abilty to transfer precious recordings to computer for archiving. It performed well on playback, but I was not so impressed with it's recording quality, although it wasn't as bad as it is now.

Anyway, I've not used it for a year, and now I'm in one of my mad 'reel' moods again. The Sony plays very well indeed - no complaints there, but it will hardly record now at all. It's very quiet and muffled compared to the input source level on any speed. I tried cleaning the heads but this hasn't helped. I also read up on here and tried a suggestion in another thread of pressing down on the supply reel, but this has no effect, sadly.

One thing I have noticed is that the tape lies 'flat' to the erase head, but seems to only hit the centre of the recording head i.e. if you can imagine the 'curve' of the head face, it only hits the front and does not follow the head shape around fully. I'm not sure if this is normal, having little experience with tape heads (if they work, I leave them alone except for a clean). Would the recording head be out of adjustment, bearing in mind it never was very good at recording when I bought it? Does anybody know how to adjust it (if this is a problem), because there are 4 screws I can see on the record head and I haven't got a clue! Also, don't want to magnetise the head or ruin something

Apart from this recording problem, the deck mechanically appears fine. I don't have any problems (at the moment!) with mechanisms, etc, and despite the fact it's not a mint example, I would very much like to do some recording on this beast, because this is my first stereo reel to reel EVER after many mono models over the years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt
Old 8th Jan 2007, 7:53 pm   #2
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Hello ! Also: Sony reel to reel not recording very well....

As your machine doesn't appear to have been used a great deal, especially for recording, try the following simple action, depress the record buttons , then stop, do this several times (ensuring the auto stop is inoperable)
Sometimes this will clear the contacts on the switches, a common fault on many switches.
I am assuming the record head is aligned correctly, don't dabble with the head settings unless you know what you are doing, as you said it has got worse since last time you used it.

Try the switch as above first, don't get too involved before the possible simple solutions are tried .

Doffery
Old 8th Jan 2007, 10:47 pm   #3
Matthew
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that advice Doffery. I did what you suggested for a while and then tried to record. It 'improved' to about the same as it used to be when I got the machine, but encouraged, I kept pressing the record buttons and things started getting better. I've spent an hour recording and playing back and the playback levels have improved from virtually nothing to being about -6Db below what the recording input levels were. However, the recording quality is much improved, and so I'd like to thank you for your advice. I'd have messed about with the tape heads if it wasn't for you

As daft as it sounds, is that when it comes to reel to reels, this is the only reel machine I've owned that needs a seperate amplifier, so I assume that if I'm recording and the highest peak on the VU meters is 0, then it should reproduce on playback the same level ? VU meters are so modern... I'm used to the green 'magic eye' system you see !

Thanks again.

PS I'm getting some new belts for the Sony soon, so I will take the opportunity of cleaning up the machine while I'm at it and try to get this nice machine back to as good condition as possible.
Old 9th Jan 2007, 12:55 am   #4
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
One thing I have noticed is that the tape lies 'flat' to the erase head, but seems to only hit the centre of the recording head i.e. if you can imagine the 'curve' of the head face, it only hits the front and does not follow the head shape around fully.
Hi Matt,

I'm not familiar with your particular machine, but here are a few suggestions. It certainly sounds as if the head is positioned too far back, but this is unlikely and it's difficult to realign heads without a standard test tape.

Could this symptom also be caused by one of the tape guides holding the tape too far away from the record head? Is the mechanism latching fully 'home' on record? Should there be a pressure pad to keep the tape against the head? Try carefully pressing the tape against the head with a dry cotton bud as it is recording/playing.

Look closely with a magnifying glass and a bright light at the record head itself, sometimes wear can form a step in the face of the head which prevents some tapes making proper contact if the tape is a few thou' wider than others. You may also see some debris that earlier cleaning failed to remove - I had this once on a cassette recorder.

There may also be a fault with the electronics such as a bias oscillator problem.

Good luck and hope you find and fix the problem.

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 9th Jan 2007, 1:04 am   #5
ben
Dekatron

I'd start by using switch cleaner on the internal rec-pb switches, and check that the lubrication is good on the mech which slides the pinch rollers and tape guides into place in pb/rec. A machine of this vintage will need an overhaul. Some electrolytics in the rec amps may also need changing.
-Ben
Old 9th Jan 2007, 2:26 pm   #6
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Now you have more or less proved the switches at fault, do try & get some switch lubricant on same when possible./ Re. the belts , you only have two, main drive for take up & motor to idler. Forget the two counter belts if counter is not working correctly, just put a fig 8 twist in both, unless badly damaged it will work.

Doffery
Old 9th Jan 2007, 7:25 pm   #7
Matthew
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the advice. I thought you'd be interested to know that I've tried recording again tonight, and now the playback levels after recording are 'way up' compared to what they were, which is amazing.

Thanks for all the tips and help. The difference is remarkable !
Closed Thread