UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2019, 11:25 pm   #1
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Comparator circuit.

here or homebrew ?
And it's a car problem. Easy solution is to fit a piggy back unit ,where the original circuit is fused through the main unit and the secondary supply is fed via a tap, and secondary fuse, to control a relay to control the supply from the non switched ciggie lighter. So that when the ignition is off, a supply is live.
But- getting a supply behind the dash means problems.
My alternative idea is to use a comparator on the vehicle supply rail. When engine is running, car volts = at least 13.5. Engine off, volts = circa 12.6 .
Great in theory, but can any of the wise men see any problems ?
Circuit would be a clamp on the non inverting input via a Zener and a prset on th non inverting input via a pot. Theory would be for output to be high when ignition off and low when engine charging battery.
Any ofthe wise men see any problems in this as it's a long time since I did any theory/practice on op amp comparators.
Old 24th May 2019, 11:53 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Comparator circuit.

I am not 100% clear from your post exactly what you are trying to do, but I can point you at at a circuit which switches a circuit on when the battery volts go below a pre-set threshold https://www.eleccircuit.com/low-volt...itor-by-lm339/ .

I've used this for an alarm, set up so that when a 12V lead acid battery has its voltage fall below about 11V, the comparator switches on the buzzer. I guess the buzzer could be replaced by a relay?

B
Old 25th May 2019, 8:14 am   #3
Leon Crampin
Octode

This approach is likely to give trouble due to noise and spikes present in a vehicle supply. I would also suggest it's over complex. If you examine the vehicle fuse box and fuse listing, it should be possible to find a circuit appropriately fused and live as you want it.

Look on auction sites and find a replacement fuse link with a fly lead fitted to one end. This would do your job without hacking into the vehicle wiring and is easily reversed.

Leon.
Old 25th May 2019, 10:57 am   #4
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcodger View Post
And it's a car problem.
Sorry, but car problems are off topic for the forums.

We do allow discussions about dwell meters etc. though,

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread