UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jun 2016, 1:38 pm   #21
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker Hunter RP38A

In all the service manuals I've seen, I've never seen mention of 75us. I don't think they were modified for export, but if anyone else knows differently, I'd love to hear...

In the context of a portable radio - albeit a good one - I'm not sure how much difference is actually makes. Sure, if you switch between them you can hear a difference, but in isolation, with no reference, and where tone controls are present and adjusted to taste, it's probably immaterial. A bit different for hi-fi tuners, perhaps.
Old 25th Jun 2016, 3:58 pm   #22
Crawfish
Retired Dormant Member

That was my first thought - it may not make any difference in practice. I have not seen any mention of this either in the factory manual.

Were there even any made for export?

Kevin
Old 25th Jun 2016, 9:00 pm   #23
Nuvistor
Dekatron

We were Hacker agents and I never heard of any exports but of course that does not mean they did not try. Hacker were a small company and until the last years they had little problems selling what they made in the UK, I would have been surprised if they did export.
Someone may know the definitive answer though.
Frank
Old 26th Jun 2016, 7:36 pm   #24
Jonster
Heptode

I also suspect Hacker sets were not officially exported as in global manufacturing terms they were a very small company. Most 'export' sets from other manufactures would have omitted the LW band and possibly included an SW range instead. For the US market I believe PP9 batteries were hard to obtain there so the set would probably have been fitted with a 'C' or 'D' cell battery compartment instead.
Closed Thread