UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jun 2016, 12:02 pm   #21
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Aerials and early circuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si3VV1Ba0vU
Meanwhile I found this - I have seen antenna loading coils used with very early sets. I guess this is the same as the ATU.
"Same as an ATU" (or AMU, for those who prefer that abbreviation): strictly speaking, not quite. A loading coil adds inductance to an electrically-short L.W. aerial so that the electrical length of the aerial plus loading coil produces an electrical quarter-wave length of wire at the aerial terminal of the set. A quarter-wave is desirable since this will be resonant (with a good earth connection). An ATU / AMU will also have a coil (usually with user-selectable tappings) but will also have a variable capacitor - and usually two. That way, a wider range of impedances (that the aerial + earth presents to the radio as the received freq. is changed), that can thus be accommodated. There are many configurations that are possible with one coil and two variable capacitors.

Al.
Old 24th Jun 2016, 1:49 pm   #22
greenstar
Octode

Default Re: Aerials and early circuits

Thanks, Al, this is starting to make sense.
Dave Schmarder describes a lovely ATU: http://www.makearadio.com/misc-stuff/antennatuner.php
What I like about the Youtube antenna loader is, it's very basic, cheap, old tech just as in the 20's, and makes a big difference. I also like the original DeMorgan design he shows, even simpler. I guess it's between something that works and something that pushes the boundaries. I always thought an ATU for a crystal set was for the extreme performance people - but it looks like a simple thing can also work well.
Old 24th Jun 2016, 2:06 pm   #23
Skywave
Rest in Peace

The schematic for that tuner, as drawn, has one serious defect: it does not show any connection to the receiver!

Al.
Old 24th Jun 2016, 2:12 pm   #24
ms660
Dekatron

It's inductively coupled when placed next to a receiver according to the text, that should have been shown on the schematic as well maybe.

Lawrence.
Old 27th Jun 2016, 10:57 pm   #25
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Aerials and early circuits

"Inductively coupled": I thought that might be the case.
"Should have been shown on the schematic": quite.

Al.
Closed Thread