UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jun 2016, 12:58 pm   #1
Desmond
Triode

Default Pye MM

Having aquired this PYE MM (see pictures) through a swap at the Dutch vintage radio jumble and having read the various postings on this model on the forum, I would like to know if the article in Radiophile 114 is a helpful source of further info.
I have not dismantled anything yet, so at the moment I can not tell if it suffers from the dreaded disintegration of metal parts.
Anyway, I have enjoyed reading the article Sickness caused by an old PYE by Steve Harris!
If it is as bad as the ones he tackled I might be tempted to leave it as it is.
But the goal will be to get it working again.

Thank you very much in advance,
with kind regards,
Desmond
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2556[1].jpg
Views:	207
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	126529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2555[1].jpg
Views:	251
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	126532  
Old 25th Jun 2016, 12:26 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye MM

Hi Desmond, they are quite nice sets and work pretty well. Beware of the monkey metal tuning caps. They can be easily turned to dust! They can be stabilised using superglue.
On my models most of the caps were not too bad, but the resistors were well out, fortunately I have a good selection of spare dog bone types.

Good luck, Ed
Old 26th Jun 2016, 3:33 pm   #3
Desmond
Triode

Hi Ed,
many thanks for your tip regarding stabilizing the monkey metal parts and resistors

So far I have taken the powersupply chassis out of the cabinet and have checked for capacity and leakage of the square capacitor box with a digital handheld meter and AVO8, both seem te be ok, no leakage at 15V testvoltage.
At work I have access to a Megohmmeter (up to 1000V DC testvoltage in steps of 1V),
that will show up leakage better at higher voltage.

The electrolytic capacitor is bone dry as can be expected after over 80 years!

Thanks again Ed,
with kind regards,
Desmond
Old 27th Jun 2016, 10:50 am   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Desmond, in my case the tin box was fine also, but the e-cap was, as yours, dried out.
The meter, set to operating voltage should test the rest of the caps well, some small leakage will be OK, check the circuit resistance associated with the cap to see if this will cause any problems.
It will need a long wire aerial, but should perform well.

Ed
Closed Thread