UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2014, 8:13 pm   #1
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Default Telephone No. 150. I think it's vintage.

I didn't know if this was what it was pertaining to be, until I got it home, as I'm no expert on phones.
I think its a 150 or 150F, I only say that as it had an F stamped on the receiver hook, if that makes sense, I don't know it that makes it an F or not, but with no label inside its hard to tell.
It is stamped No150 in the usual place, but the down side is that its been got at, its been stripped, primed and repainted, very badly, even the receiver and cap were painted.
All I have done to it was to strip back the layers of new paint on the receiver to see what it looked like, before doing anything else, so far, other than the receiver the left hand phone is pictured as I got it, less a receiver clean.
The phone is not perfect, but I think it was worth the fifteen quid it cost. as it has all the parts, but not a single wire inside, plus the dial doesn't look right and the finish is rough, the paintwork is not a major problem, but the surface of the brass is not the best, but I don't want to polish it up to look like brass, but to try to keep the original patina of the original phone.
The receiver cover looks to be Ebonite as its gone brown and has a single hole, unlike the other phone on the right that has a Bakelite pepper pot style cover.
Any hints and tips welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0696.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	95036  
Old 11th Jul 2014, 10:12 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: I think its vintage

As I understand it, the "F" suffix relates to an all-figure dial (which neither of the sets in your picture have). By the same token, those with letters as well would have an "L" suffix.

Even though they are in poor condition or have been "got at", if you only paid £15 for the pair, you have not done too badly.

If you intend to use them, they really ought to be connected via a suitable bell set with the induction coil etc.
Old 11th Jul 2014, 10:45 pm   #3
Pellseinydd
Heptode

The 'F' on the switchhook indicates it is a 'Hook, Receiver, F' "as used on Teles 2,3 an4,10,11,121,136,150, 156, 160 and on intermediate panels of switch sections etc" to quote the GPO Vocabulary of Engineering Stores.

The dial on the left-hand phone is a more modern Dial No 21 from a 1960's telephone.
Old 11th Jul 2014, 10:45 pm   #4
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Telephone No. 150. I think it's vintage.

I have already made a bell-set up for the one on the right, its not perfect, but it works.
AFN, haven't a clue, something to do with 1966, I will have to read up some more.
£15 for the pair, I wish, not at today's prices.
Old 11th Jul 2014, 10:51 pm   #5
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that, yes it did look a modern dial, will have to go looking for a replacement, the one on the right is a crossed out No4 re-stamped No156, with no F stamped on the arm.
Old 12th Jul 2014, 8:28 am   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellseinydd View Post
The 'F' on the switchhook indicates it is a 'Hook, Receiver, F'.
Apologies if I didn't express myself clearly, I was referring to the reference at the beginning to a "150F".
Old 13th Jul 2014, 6:48 pm   #7
AC/HL
Dekatron

Seven posts moved to a new thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=107675
Closed Thread