UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jul 2010, 4:59 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default 'Window Film' - may be useful for dials.

From time to time there have ben threads on the forum about making new dials, be they on glass, acetate or metal, and there have been some impressive results using water slide transfers, and laminating printed dials. Oone firm which I know several forum members have used for such mateirals as waterslide transfer paper is 'Crafty Computer Paper', who I've occasionally dealt with myself.

I was browsing their website today, and came across a new product (new to them presumably), which looks like it could have some potential - namely, 'window film'.

Basically you print off your design on any medium - card, paper, acetate etc, and fix that to the film, then remove a cover from the film, and stick the film to whatever serface you wish - glass, acetate etc. If you want to reposition it, you can peel it off and do so time and again.

Details of this window film and a short video which shows how the film is used is here:

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk...=656&CatID=239

Hope that's of interest.

David
Old 4th Aug 2010, 6:44 pm   #2
dark1stu
Pentode

Default Re: 'Window Film' - may be useful for dials.

This looks Promising. I wonder how it would stand up the the heat in a valve set or the dial lamp/lamps? I would suspect it would be good for a stopgap if nothing else. I'm going to order some to do a Philips dial and try using OHP film with it. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 5th Aug 2010 at 1:18 pm. Reason: Converted to English.
Old 6th Aug 2010, 8:45 am   #3

Default Re: 'Window Film' - may be useful for dials.

I think they recommend a porous surface for one of them, OHP film isn't. You could try the old trick of wetting the surface before sandwiching with a waek washing up liquid solution, this a) makes air bubbles less likely and easier to remove, b) give a bit of slip for alignment or a second go, c) helps it sticking. Boiled water is better as there are no dissolved gasses and the hardness goes down. To reduce the possibility of edge peeling a small bead of evostick (the proper smelly one) or the like round the edge may help.

Closed Thread