UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2018, 12:14 pm   #1
Paul JD
Pentode

Default GEC AC37 volume pot.

Hi, I am working on a GEC AC37 that needs a new volume pot (R3). The original pot is a 7k that also incorporates the mains switch, the closest I can find with a suitable switch attached and that will fit is a 10k. I was thinking it might make sense to change the value of R5 that is in parallel with the pot. Currently the pot is 7k with a 6.6k across it, with a 10k pot changing R5 to about 5k should keep the same overall parallel resistance? Does this make sense?

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rf-stage.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	171345  
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 1:03 pm   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: GEC AC37 volume pot.

The 6.6K is not across the volume control.
A 10k pot as a direct replacement will be fine, shunt it with a 22k if you wish.
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 1:24 pm   #3
Paul JD
Pentode

Thanks Sam, much appreciated. I was struggling to visualise what the 6.6k R5 was for but thinking about it again I guess it could be to safeguard against the pot going open circuit?
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 4:37 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but isn't R3 technically an RF gain control, rather than a volume control, per se. Surely, whatever name it is given, R3 is-in effect-in parallel with r5 via the winding L2, assuming the 'bottom' end of R5 to be earthed, that is.
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 6:20 pm   #5
Paul JD
Pentode

Yes, the service sheet describes it as gain control which varies the grid bias and also acts as an aerial earth shunt.
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 7:00 pm   #6
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

It both increases the bias and lowers the sensitivity, quite common in old TRF sets.
Closed Thread