UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2022, 12:23 am   #21
silver ghost
Triode

Default Re: Rebuilding an old radio

Thanks again for your points of view. I was going for the valve sound, and something close to the original radio. At this point I am not sure what I can get done, but I need to do a bit of research and find a guy who knows about old radios and maybe something about how to design an amplifier.

I hope for a reasonably good sound and I don't expect high end quality. I am not that impressed with what people around me play music on. There are some good head sets, but the wireless, chargeable radios and bluetooth loundspeakers, are not nice. Peope are very happy with their new purchases and I keep my opinon of the sound quality to my self. I know some of the old radios had better sound. The low priced record players some have bought have very "thin" sound, and I just wonder what happened to the sound quality in the basic equipment we surround our selves with.

This is part of my reasoning for repairing and old radio like this. It could be just a fun project too. The sound of the AM radio isn't that good these days, but the signal from a record player, a DAB converter, or maybe connecting a docking station the the phono stage might be good.

I know it isn't very practical, but I just liked the look of the old radio and thought it would be fun to see what could be done with it. Hifi probably doesn't enter the picture until the late 50s to start with. I was hoping the valve amplifier technology from the 1930 was good enough to work with. I have no idea if this is a good or a bad radio set to start with either. Maybe I should just go for a DIY valve amplifier kit. Some of them have good reviews.

Last edited by silver ghost; 14th Jul 2022 at 12:31 am.
Old 14th Jul 2022, 8:42 pm   #22
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Rebuilding an old radio

Hi, there are plenty of circuits for sets of the late 20's, early 30's that could be easily copied and use quite easily obtainable parts and valves (cossor empire melody maker and similar kit sets.
These would not look out of place in your set

Cheers, Ed
Closed Thread