UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Sep 2006, 5:53 pm   #1
rigsby27
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush VTR103 VHF volume question

Hello all,

I have just aquired my latest radio, a Bush VTR103 it's a bit grubby but it is complete including the rather long aerial (without any damage) I would guess that's rare.

The radio is working well on MW/LW with good volume but on VHF it is much quieter, it's not distorted, I wondered if this is normal or am I looking at a fault?

Thanks for your time.
Tony.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 15th Jul 2011 at 2:03 pm.
Old 15th Sep 2006, 5:59 pm   #2
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Default Re: Bush VTR 103 VHF volume question

Hi Tony,

My VTR103 is exactly the same. Also read on this forum, but can't remember exactly which thread, that this is normal on VHF for this model compared to MW/LW. So shouldn't worry too much about it being due to a circuit fault.

Regards,
Robert
Old 15th Sep 2006, 6:06 pm   #3
GJR 11L
Heptode

HI, I would expect VHF to be a little less bass-rich than the am bands, but only a wee bit quieter if the brace of VTR103Cs here are any guide.

They're not quite so sensitive as a dearer, more modern or German/Danish/Norwegian FM receiver of the period though, though I'm blessed with great FM reception here in general terms.

If your set does have an FM fault, then at least the module on these is an easy one to remove, repair and replace.

Is the lower level on VHF accompanied by a background hiss, or is it just generally quieter?

Regards,

JPB
Old 15th Sep 2006, 7:05 pm   #4
tivo
Triode

I've just tried my VTR103 and can confirm VHF does appear somewhat more quiet than either MW or LW.

There is far less "interference" on VHF (which may account for some of the perception of quietness) but I find I have to turn the volume up a little to retain the same comfortable listening level as on LW.
Old 15th Sep 2006, 7:20 pm   #5
howard
Nonode

Hello,

I have six VTR103s and they are all quieter on VHF than MW/LW even the one which trev757 put all new caps in and has had transistors replaced.

Howard
Old 16th Sep 2006, 4:45 pm   #6
rigsby27
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

Thanks for all the comments, it would seem I don't have a fault then, I had a gut feeling it was normal but I thought I'd check.

So, I just need to get the foam cleaner and old toothbrush on the go.

Cheers,
Tony.
Closed Thread