UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2020, 10:23 am   #21
Trigon.
Hexode

Default Re: Quad FM4 tuner blowing fuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_RC View Post
Does anyone know what the C and R values were in the original RIFA device? is it critical? I have found 0.1uF plus 100ohm and 22nF plus 100ohm on eBay.
The one I just removed from a 33 is marked 0.047uF+100ohm, RC Unit PMR209M.

Cheers
Old 20th Jul 2020, 10:31 am   #22
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Time for an update. I now have my friend's FM4 with me. Externally it looks very clean and tidy and on removing the cover the internals also look in good order with no signs of tampering. First thing to note, whatever the circuit shows, the RIFA device is definitely after the fuse so if it fails to a low impedance it will blow the fuse. This is a late model (made 1992) with the fuse holder integrated with the mains socket so perhaps the earlier variant with the separate fuse holder was different.

There was a faint smell of burnt electronics in the PSU area so I removed the RIFA. On inspection it has not split open but it is slightly swollen and the encapsulation shows signs of crazing. It does appear to be the source of the burnt smell. I have ordered a replacement device and will power the unit up and soak test once it is fitted. The electrolytics look OK so I will leave them at this stage.

Inspecting the battery shows it is the later style fitted in a plastic holder, there is a slight white deposit at the negative end but no leakage. It is still holding a charge (measured 5V on meter) but I might replace it. Does anyone know what holds it in the plastic holder? surely not just the leads.

I will report back after I have fitted the replacement RIFA and soak tested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MikesFM4-s.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	211383   Click image for larger version

Name:	BackPanel-s.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	211384  
Old 20th Jul 2020, 12:08 pm   #23
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Lucky you caught it before the firework stage!
Old 22nd Jul 2020, 9:35 pm   #24
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Found a reference to the Quad N1 NPMR20A suppressor being a RIFA 0.047uF 100ohmx2 PMR209MB 40/085/56 (same as Post 21), which I think is metalized paper.

Ensure replacement is an X2 rated Polypropylene snubber of sufficient AC voltage.

David
Old 23rd Jul 2020, 7:03 pm   #25
Vintage_RC
Heptode

I have sourced and fitted A RIFA PMR209 and the unit has been running all day without blowing the fuse. The transformer is mildly warm but you can easily keep you finger on it so I think that the RIFA was the only problem.

One more question, I am considering replacing the battery before returning the FM4 to my friend. This is a later unit with the battery in a plastic box (see photo at the beginning of the thread). Does anyone know what holds the battery in the box?
Old 23rd Jul 2020, 8:44 pm   #26
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Mine was potted with some sort of inert goo. The box is just there to stop the battery's innards from spilling onto the board. As the original processor is now obsolete, Quad, bless 'em, make a kit to replace it with a more modern device which doesn't need a back-up battery at all.
Old 23rd Jul 2020, 9:20 pm   #27
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
Mine was potted with some sort of inert goo. The box is just there to stop the battery's innards from spilling onto the board. As the original processor is now obsolete, Quad, bless 'em, make a kit to replace it with a more modern device which doesn't need a back-up battery at all.
How did you get the battery out of the goo?
Old 25th Jul 2020, 7:59 pm   #28
Vintage_RC
Heptode

The FM4 is back together and ready to return to my friend. As already mentioned the fuse blowing was the RIFA device (no surprise there), while I had the unit and it was on the bench I decided to go ahead and change the battery. A few notes may be of interest, this is a later model with the battery housed in a plastic tub. A suitable battery is a Varta Mempac 4.8V 150mAh NiMh. It is held in the tub by a low melting point wax so heating with a hairdryer will soften the wax adequately for removal. The wax can be softened again with the hairdryer for insertion of the new battery. To carry out the battery change the plastic tub is best removed, it is held in place by a self tapping screw.