UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jul 2020, 4:18 pm   #1
Alan Jones
Triode

Question McMichael Duplex (Battery)Transportable 1934

I have one of these radios, and after building a battery eliminater the set is working. However the reactive part of the receiver seems to short-out as the tuning knob is rotated. As this circuitry is enclosed in a metal can and seems to be a major job to disassemble and reassemble I am wondering if it is worth the risk of damaging the whole thing. Has anybody out there had any experience of repairing such an item? I have a copy of the "Service Engineer" supplement to "The Broadaster" for November 1934 which briefly outlines how to remove the metal container but would like some reassurance that this is a task I could accomplish. I am very much an amateur at this vintage stuff.
Thanks very much.
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 10:33 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: McMichael Duplex (Battery)Transportable 1934

Any chance of a picture Alan ,It does sound like the variable capacitor is shorting in the can. Mick.
Old 3rd Jul 2020, 4:41 pm   #3
Alan Jones
Triode

Hi Mick,
I will send you a picture in a few days as one of our dogs has been ill and we are dealing with him at the moment.
Thanks for your reply and will send you a pic when I can. Alan
Old 9th Jul 2020, 8:33 pm   #4
Alan Jones
Triode

Hi Mick,
I have now managed to take a couple of photos but not sure if they are any help, as there is very little room around the components.
One picture shows the central tuning capacitor area, and the other shows part of the casing enclosing the reactive components.
I am also still getting used to using the camera on my phone!

Cheers
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0275.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	210683   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0314_Moment(2).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	210684