UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2020, 9:50 am   #1
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Telephone 710

I recently acquired the telephone 710 shown below. I currently have it wired as a stand-alone telephone, but I wonder what set-up would originally have included it.

Having picked through the rats' nest of wiring shown in the second image, I have identified the connections (apart from the red/green wire to T22) of the twelve-way line cord and attach a PDF showing them.

The green and blue wires attached to T13 and T14 respectively are extended to the incoming A and B legs of the telephone line until the "exch" button is pressed, at which point they are disconnected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	710F outside.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	210873   Click image for larger version

Name:	710F inside.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	210874  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf telephone 710 wiring.pdf (38.6 KB, 62 views)
Old 13th Jul 2020, 6:11 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Telephone 710

I think it could be used for a few things, Dave, including plan-sets, but anything where several buttons (or lamps) were required.

I have a 710 as the living-room phone and mine has two buttons: one latching, one non-latching. I wired mine so the latching button is 'bell off' and the non-latching shorts the mic as a 'mute' button. The 'mute' button also unlatches the 'bell-off' button.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 13th Jul 2020, 7:11 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Perhaps I should have mentioned that the "exch" button is latching and gives access to the exchange line (while - as I mentioned in the attachment - disconnecting the forward connection of the line). The other three buttons are non-latching for signalling purposes.

I haven't made any changes to the internal wiring, merely strapping the "earthy" end of the bell circuit to the "A" leg in the block terminal.
Old 13th Jul 2020, 7:41 pm   #4
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Yours has been different to mine. My buttons say '1' and 'Recall'. There is no buzzer. I acquired mine from a working situation, courtesy of BT, but I can only remember there being one other telephone on the same line.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 13th Jul 2020, 7:58 pm   #5
AndiiT
Octode

Hi, your phone is most likely from a Telephone Rentals Plan system, of which there were many.
Although it looks like a GPO 710 does it have that particular number stamped on the base or is it (more likely) an Ericsson N1906 variant?

Gec also made a few Plan systems, the most similar one I can find to your phone is shown here

Regards

Andrew
Old 13th Jul 2020, 8:39 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiiT View Post
Although it looks like a GPO 710 does it have that particular number stamped on the base or is it (more likely) an Ericsson N1906 variant?
Yes, definitely a 710F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	710F base.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	210932