UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2020, 2:59 pm   #1
Racoon7
Diode

Smile Help Needed: Can Anyone Identify This Plug?

Hi,

First of all, spent enough time perusing this forum, about time I signed up! So first post, hi everyone.

Now I wonder if anyone can help me identify this plug. I need to find what connects into it so I can get it working. The plug its self is part of an old LED ceiling hung double faced clock, possibly from the 1980s. There are no makers names or anything on the clock its self (once i get it working I'll add up a post and show/document it for the forum).

It has a 240v input as wired from inside, 6av. It's a 3 pin with a hole the size roughly of a 10 pence piece. It has a slot on the opposing side of the earth pin, presumably to lock the connection. It has an earth pin that is slightly longer and wider than the live and neutral pins.

I'm confused as to what connection this has, I can't find it anywhere! Any help is hugely appreciated. I'm excited to get the clock working for my front room.

Please see the attached pictures, hoping this works!

Thank you for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200711_143918.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	210782   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200711_143933.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	210783   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200711_143944.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	210784  
Old 11th Jul 2020, 4:09 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Help Needed: Can Anyone Identify This Plug?

It's a three pin Bulgin connector. Check whether it's 14mm or 22mm.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/One-NEW-N...cAAOSwaBZZmDoQ

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 11th Jul 2020, 4:19 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

That looks to be the 22mm one, the chassis mounting male for detachable mains cords.

It's no longer rated as safe for mains voltages because the cap of the cable connector can be unscrewed without needing a tool, and then people can stick their fingers onto a live connections.

They were used on lots of period tape recorders, record players guitar amplifiers etc etc, but the mains cables didn't get kept with the equipment so now the mating connectors are a bit thin on the ground and you'll see high prices on the auction sites.

The slot accepts a spine on the female connector and it stops it bein plugged in the wrong way round. Otherwise you could force it and connect live to metalwork.

David
Old 11th Jul 2020, 4:43 pm   #4

Quote:
It's no longer rated as safe for mains voltages because the cap of the cable connector can be unscrewed without needing a tool
Right angle cable entry ones do exist and need a tool to undo (and have a proper cable clamp too), even then the metal bits are a bit near the surface for modern regulations. Still they are a good connector and need a complete twit to make them dangerous.

Old 11th Jul 2020, 8:33 pm   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I have some spare NOS Bulgin connectors. You are very welcome to one FOC but the problem is our local village post office may be closed due to you know what..

Suggest you PM me with your details and I'll see what I can do. John.
Old 11th Jul 2020, 9:18 pm   #6
Restoration73
Nonode

It is easy to make them a bit safer. The hole in the cover can be enlarged to take a
13mm cable gland. Once the gland nut is tight not only is extremely difficult to unscrew
the cover, but also the gland forms an effective cord grip.
Old 12th Jul 2020, 4:50 pm   #7
Racoon7
Diode

Thank you all for the response and help! I also emailed John at Flameport Electrical who gave me some help to so thanks to him as well. I've PM'd you Heatercathodshort as well thanks again. I'll update everyone once I've got it running!
Closed Thread