UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Repair and Restoration Services Wanted

Notices

Repair and Restoration Services Wanted If you need someone to repair or restore equipment for you please post your request here.

Old 12th May 2020, 4:41 pm   #1
Reelman
Octode

Default Tape recorder assistance required near Montrose.

I hope that this post complies with the rules as set out in the “sticky”

A friend of mine has recently asked me to speak to a gentleman (Jim) who has a problem with his Grundig TK5 tape recorder owned from new since circa 1956. Whilst he is keen to try and repair it himself he feels that it may be beyond him. I said I would ask if there is a forum member or restorer prepared to physically repair or assist him.

Is there anyone in the Aberdeen area prepared to go and help please?

I have not discussed with Jim about the possibility of sending it for repair, I don’t think that would be economic for such an old and basic machine.

This machine is completely original and has had nothing replaced over the last 60 years. The symptoms are low output, no recording and no glow in the EF86.
Jim has already replaced the EF86 with no success, it has its own heater winding on the transformer. He is going to investigate this with his meter. I have also suggested that the paper caps require checking/replacement. Obviously if the electronics are fixed then new drive belts will probably be necessary. I have supplied him with the circuit.

If anyone can physically assist at some time (not just advice over the phone, I can do that) then please, in the first instance let me know.

Many thanks,

Peter
Reelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2020, 10:49 am   #2
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: Tape recorder assistance required near Aberdeen.

Peter, PM sent. Regards, David
David Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2020, 12:50 pm   #3
Reelman
Octode

Thanks for the PM David, I’ll speak to Jim first then get in touch.
Good of you.
Peter
Old 22nd May 2020, 4:00 pm   #4
David Simpson
Nonode

That's fine Peter, I'll wait and see if your pal Jim gets in touch. I looked up the TK5 and found an excellent Forum archive document by Tim Pullin back in 2004. If the owner is a novice, electronics-wise, he'll have his work cut out. I'm glad you'll be able to mentor him.

Regards, David.
David Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2020, 4:39 pm   #5
Reelman
Octode

On speaking with Jim today it seems he actually lives south of Aberdeen in Montrose which is a long way from David.

So any volunteers in the Montrose area please? Jim is struggling to fix it himself.

Many thanks,

Peter
Old 16th Jun 2020, 5:28 pm   #6
Reelman
Octode

Default Re: Tape recorder assistance required near Montrose.

Bump?