UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jun 2020, 9:51 am   #1
Stezza666
Diode

Default Pye Pocketfone PF8 care and cleaning?

Hi all,

I recently purchased two PYE Pocketfone PF8s and they are in very good condition. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for what should be used to clean the outside casing, dials and speaker area? I'd like to show them some love to try to clean them up a bit so they sparkle once more.

I'm especially keen on knowing what I should use on the blue outer plastic casing, and the silver on the sides. Don't want to use the wrong cleaners!

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 4th Jun 2020, 2:40 pm   #2

Default Re: Pye Pocketfone PF8 care and cleaning?

Hand soap on a well rung out rag will be gentle. For difficult to get to bits spit on a cotton bud is good, all those enzymes in spit dissolve most organic stuff. It is a painting restorers favourite, I wonder how they produce so much spit for a big painting??

Old 4th Jun 2020, 6:22 pm   #3
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

In my local Pye service depot they first removed paper sticky labels ("u/s, faulty, duff") etc with lighter fluid. (Petrol.) Then a foam cleaner like Servisol, but Amberclens was the preferred one. Obviously taking care not to soak it internally through mic or speaker holes.
The foam cleaner was the standard way one used for mobiles as well. Some could be absolutely filthy and rivers of filth would flow off when sprayed, especially nicotine stains.
Rob
Old 4th Jun 2020, 6:45 pm   #4
Scimitar
Heptode

Foam cleaner. Servisol brand could take a BBC computer case from disgusting to factory fresh almost as you watched!
Closed Thread