UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Oct 2012, 9:46 am   #1
robjkmannering
Retired Dormant Member

Default Transistor used as bias diode

During my recent radiogram repair, I encountered a transistor in the dc coupled amp with the base emitter junction used as a diode.
This I assumed to be for biasing. As the transistor tested okay I did not replace it.
The transistor is a 2SC1129 wich is listed for vhf use.
As the amp now uses BC558s ect. I wondered if I need to change the bias 'diode' so that it will have the same temperature characteristics as the rest of the transistors used or will it have little difference?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 16th Oct 2012, 10:44 am   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Transistor used as bias diode

What you have here is one of those "it shouldn't work, but it probably will if you don't tell anybody" situations.

Try warming the amplifier board with a hairdrier and cooling it with freezer spray, and listening out for any obvious distortion.
Old 16th Oct 2012, 10:58 am   #3
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Why shouldn't it work? All BJTs follow the Ebers-Moll model fairly accurately.
Old 16th Oct 2012, 5:04 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

Transistors were often used in place of diodes for stabilisation. I suspect that the 2SC device would not be the original one from a Thorn radiogram, but should be as good as any other silicon junction. It's only the thermal characteristics that are being harnessed.
Old 16th Oct 2012, 5:15 pm   #5
kalee20
Dekatron

As long as you're replacing small-signal silicon with small-signal silicon, I'd expect it to work, as G8HQP Dave and AC/HL have observed.

If you were replacing with a 100A power transistor, then you may not get quite enough bias voltage generated. But that's not the case.

As it's just used as a two-terminal device, you could even swap between NPN and PNP, with polarity reversal.
Old 16th Oct 2012, 6:25 pm   #6

May well be used because it's easier to 'clamp' a transsitor case ot the heatsink rater than a diode.

Old 16th Oct 2012, 7:23 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
May well be used because it's easier to 'clamp' a transsitor case ot the heatsink rater than a diode.
Indeed: I'm prepared to bet that the quality of the thermal-bond between the 'bias sensing' transistor/diode is rather more important than the precise characteristics of the transistor/diode itself.

I have memories of a Redifon-designed HF linear amplifier which had a couple of dirty great stud-mount power rectifiers fitted on the heatsink right between the output-transistor quad. Along with two OC35 transistors passing a couple of amps, they worked quite well to stabilise the bias up to heatsink-temperatures around 80 Centigrade.
Old 16th Oct 2012, 9:03 pm   #8
robjkmannering
Retired Dormant Member

In this case, the transistor is not mounted on a heatsink, the ouput pairs have individual aluminium fins. The transiator does not even sit close to another semi-conductor so heat transfer is not an issue.

Rob
Closed Thread