UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Oct 2012, 8:09 am   #1
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Erase head amplifier

I am working on designing a Erase head amplifier for a r2r machine. The head is an old style Ampex head, and will need approx 3 watts of power) so my friend says. I am going to also need to design a Oscillator to provide the erase oscillation aswell. At this point would i be better to just use a DC supply and build a DC eraser?
ßChris
Old 3rd Oct 2012, 9:29 am   #2
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Erase head amplifier

AC erase will provide lower residual noise AFAIK. Do you want to use a valve circuit or transistor? A valve such as an EL84 or 6V6 will easily provide the power in self-oscillating mode without an amplifier.
Old 3rd Oct 2012, 12:42 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

So would a reasonably heatsunk TO220 power transistor.....
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Oct 2012, 1:44 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

Even a TDA20xx-type power op-amp should have enough gain to oscillate at tape recorder bias frequencies.

But whether you use silicon or valves probably will ultimately be determined by the impedance of the head (low or high, respectively).
Old 3rd Oct 2012, 7:08 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, some of the cheaper 60's tape recorders switched the output stage as bais oscillator during record, some even used a tap on the op trans to match to the erase head.

Ed
Old 3rd Oct 2012, 8:51 pm   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

That was pretty much standard practice with 2-head recorders. The common valve line-up was ECC83 (2 stage mic / head preamp), ECL86 (monitor / playback preamp and erase oscillator / audio power amp) and some sort of indicator tube (EM84 / EM85, DM70). The record / play switch would perform a pretty severe rewiring job.
Old 4th Oct 2012, 12:08 am   #7
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
AC erase will provide lower residual noise AFAIK. Do you want to use a valve circuit or transistor? A valve such as an EL84 or 6V6 will easily provide the power in self-oscillating mode without an amplifier.

I've got enough 6v6's around here and plenty of sockets.
Will i need some type of coil? Or could i provide some type of a howling style feedback using capacitors,etc?
-Chris
Old 4th Oct 2012, 12:21 am   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

You could certainly build a phase shift oscillator round an output valve. Coupling the signal to the head without a transformer or anode feed inductor of some sort might be rather inefficient, though.

Take a look at a few old domestic tape recorder circuits for inspiration.

Snippet below for starters. V4 is EL42 but 6V6 would no doubt work quite happily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bias.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	71136  
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Oct 2012, 12:48 am   #9
Radio Wrangler

The interesting thing in the diagram Chris posted is that the heads are switched. One, the other or both can be in play. So when both are going, the inductance is effectively halved.

The coupling of them to T3 has to be fairly light so the oscillation frequency doesn't change too much, because it is usually used as the recording head bias source. When I built a tape recorder, I used a master oscillator for the bias feed, driving two power amplifiers, driving resonant matching circuits into each erase head winding. One oscillator meant everythiing was on the exact same frequency and so there were no beat notes. The amplifiers buffered the oscillator from the loads, and the resonant match meant I could drive high-Z heads with transistors.

David
Old 4th Oct 2012, 12:50 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

The TK9 was a two track mono machine with the interesting capability of playback and record in either direction

So I suspect the switching was one or the other but not both.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 4th Oct 2012, 2:17 pm   #11

Quote:
So I suspect the switching was one or the other but not both
I doubt it would matter as long as there was enough erase current.

Old 5th Oct 2012, 11:31 pm   #12
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

The problem is going to be, I have no coils to use, how do I bypass that?
-Chris
Old 6th Oct 2012, 2:13 am   #13
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Isn't there some type of self oscillating 555 timer chip that I could amplify to drive a head, the head would need say 5 watts probably, at 50 volts though?
-Chris
Old 6th Oct 2012, 10:28 am   #14
Refugee
Dekatron

I have a Mullard book that has a bias erase circuit that does not have a transformer in it.
I have not had time to look for it over the past few days due to a crime having been committed in our street. Too busy copying CCTV images onto CDs and giving statements
Old 8th Oct 2012, 9:08 am   #15
ricard
Octode

You initially mentioned an erase head amplifier. Does that mean that you actually have an erase oscillator and just need to beef up the output? In that case a 6V6 connected as an amplifier would do just in fine.

In the valve days, the oscillator usually drove the heads directly, as in many transistor machines, however, I've seen other (usually more upmarked) transistor machines where the oscillator actually drives a small power amplifier which in turn drives the heads.
Old 8th Oct 2012, 12:07 pm   #16
Amraduk
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
You initially mentioned an erase head amplifier. Does that mean that you actually have an erase oscillator and just need to beef up the output?
No, he doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagnetophon View Post
I am working on designing a Erase head amplifier for a r2r machine. The head is an old style Ampex head, and will need approx 3 watts of power) so my friend says. I am going to also need to design a Oscillator to provide the erase oscillation aswell?
Regards,

Dave.
Closed Thread