UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Old 14th Jun 2018, 8:23 am   #1
nickbeer
Diode

Default Hello from nickbeer.

I can see the community here is as near as we'll get to the "good old days!" - it's so nice to see conversations that could well have been taking place 30 + years ago and to see that people still want to fix kit now that it is vintage. Surprising some of the stuff people find of interest though - stuff many of us would have derided back in the day!

It's also interesting to see the knowledge levels of some people trying to restore and maintain sets. I'm on a couple of the Facebook groups involved in similar topics and you see posts where you think "If i was to reply and try and help you I'd need to do a few hours of theory before explaining how to tackle the problem"

So yes I'm still around - now working at SSVC the people who do the worldwide TV and radio broadcasting for UK armed forces. In between times I was at the BBC as a news and then projects engineer as well as running my own broadcast engineering business.

If anybody thinks I can help (for despite not remembering what day of the week it is these days I still have a photographic memory for all the stock faults on say a Decca 80!) please do message me - I can't promise to read these forums awfully often else I'd have no time for anything else ;-)
nickbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2018, 11:17 am   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Hello from nickbeer.

Welcome to the group and please jog my memory as I know that name from way back.
David
JKY Services
Old 14th Jun 2018, 3:13 pm   #3
AC/HL

Television magazine?
Old 14th Jun 2018, 9:35 pm   #4
Philips210
Octode

Hi

Good to hear from you Nick. Yes I remember reading your excellent servicing articles in Television magazine back in the late 1980s and early 1990s.
I remember how helpful these were particularly on Panasonic VCRs. Whilst Panasonic VCRs were excellent, some were more complicated to service especially the 'G' deck so the servicing articles were of great help.

I was recently trying to recap on the other Television magazine contributors. One other name was Eugene Trundle also known as ET by Les Lawry-Johns. I remember Eugene's excellent servicing articles mainly on ITT TVs.

Regards
Symon.
Philips210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jun 2018, 3:07 pm   #5
rambo1152
Heptode

Bill Wright still advises on aerial and distribution matters in a corner of the Interweb.
rambo1152 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jun 2018, 10:41 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

Nice to hear from you Nick. I also did a few articles for Television Mag....those were the days....!
Old 16th Jun 2018, 6:43 pm   #7
AndiiT
Octode

Hi and Welcome to the forum Nick, I too submitted a small number of articles and fault reports to "Television" magazine and was surprised (and comforted) to find a number of names that I recognised from there when I first joined the forum some time ago.

I have to say that this is one of the best moderated forums on the web, I'm sure your expertise will be welcomed here.

Andrew
AndiiT is offline   Reply With Quote