UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Old 29th Apr 2018, 8:49 pm   #1
LenC 54
Diode

Default Hi from Cumbria

Hello all

Iíve just joined although have been reading and referring to various posts on here over the past few months. No experience other than an enjoyable six month govt training course back in the early 70s, although it led nowhere for me at the time. Consequently, I spent the following forty-odd years behind various desks.

Over the winter I seem to have acquired a fair collection of DAC90As and sectric clocks, together with a few AVOs. A couple of the radios and clocks are now back in use and luckily an AVO mk3 I bought online turned out to be like new - although not before Iíd bought some ugly ducklings.

Through the forum I identified the family radio from my childhood, a Bush VHF70. However, having looked inside the one I found a couple of days ago it looks a little more adventurous than the DAC90A, so hopefully Iím not pushing my luck.

I guess a couple of things have struck me recently. The first being that mass production and built in obsolescence were not the same thing when these things were being turned out. The second, slightly concerning, is that the every day items I grew up with are now considered vintage...
LenC 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2018, 11:05 pm   #2
Cobaltblue
Nonode

Default Re: Hi from Cumbria

Hi Len

You're amongst friends here!

A good number of us are vintage in our own right and in danger of being preserved by being pickled

The biggest danger is being overloaded by your collection.

Cheers

Mike T
Cobaltblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2018, 7:51 am   #3
stitch1
Hexode

Welcome, this site is an excellent resource with many skilled engineers always willing to help.

I was born in Penrith, itís where I bought my first Ďvintage valve radioí about 40 years ago and another just a year ago....take heed of Mikes warning

John
Old 30th Apr 2018, 5:51 pm   #4
Biggles
Octode

There are a growing number of forum members around these parts. I lived in Penrith for seven years back in the 'eighties so I know the area well. Hopefully we will be able to provide some help as and when you need it.
Alan.
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2018, 9:53 pm   #5
bikerhifinut
Octode

Welcome Len.
I'm just to the East of Penrith in the Eden valley.

Andy.
bikerhifinut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2018, 10:39 pm   #6
Sinewave
Hexode

Weclome to the forum. I worked in Spadeadam for a while, lovely part of the country. Freshest air I ever breathed.