UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jul 2019, 2:02 pm   #1
ekjdm14
Banned

Default Windsor (Taylor) 65c missing frequency ranges...

I've finally got my stripped & twiddled 65c sig-gen functioning to some degree, with a lot of help from a home-drawn diagram from elektrotanya. Previously it was totally dead except for filaments and indicator lamp & now with some re-wiring and repair to a damaged coil I have a test tone (more on this shortly) and can modulate this over the 100-300 and 300-900Kc/s ranges with some accuracy (I can inject to the IF of a couple of test sets with the needle between 455/465 marks).

Unfortunately any range higher than the 300-900 is still not modulating anything, in fact I believe the modulation falls on it's face at the top of the 900 range. When modulation is dead I can also hear the AF tone change, speaking of which I'd estimate the tone when modulating is actually closer to 300c/s than 400, when modulation fails this seems to jump to the correct 400c/s tone albeit much more quietly.

Without having a valve tester, I'm wondering if it could be a faulty valve although I have switched the 6J5's around with no change. I would have expected a dud valve to fail at the lower end also so not very sold on that idea. All caps have been changed with the exception of 3 flat mica jobs and one ceramic dog-bone which all tested good. Resistors have been checked/replaced as required and I'm 99.9% sure there's no other open coils (surely this would only affect 1 range anyway?) so I'm a little stumped and would greatly appreciate either suggestions of what I could have missed, or if someone has a record of voltages checked from their working example/specified correct voltages that would be very helpful too.

Thanks, Dan
Old 16th Jul 2019, 4:20 pm   #2
ekjdm14
Banned

Default Re: Windsor (Taylor) 65c missing frequency ranges...

Correction to my last, I've had a scope on the output now and it continues to work up to 900Kc/s it's actually on the lowest range where it dies again, cut off is around 125Kc/s and needs bringing up to about 165Kc/s before it starts up again.

I am beginning to wonder about valve quality now but would certainly be thankful for suggestions as before.
Closed Thread