UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2020, 7:29 pm   #1
Max Ripple
Pentode

Default BSR P163 turntable

I discovered this turntable among some storage items.The mech was seized due to dried out grease,but otherwise it seemed to be in very good condition.
Having now restored the unit to full operation,I'm quite impressed with it.
It's a belt drive design,with a nice big beefy motor,a novel pick up arm with adjustable counterweight and anti-skate system.The unit appears to be a "cut above" BSR's usual budget offerings?
I've fitted a Philips "400" series magnetic pu,and this sound great,although I don't have any info on this pu,eg tracking weight etc.
I'd be interested to learn more about this turntable and pu if anyone has more info?
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0643.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	206675   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0645.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	206676  

Last edited by Max Ripple; 24th May 2020 at 7:30 pm. Reason: typo
Old 25th May 2020, 12:20 am   #2
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: BSR P163 turntable

From memory the Philips GP400 cartridge had a spherical stylus and a tracking weight of 3 grams. However, there were other models in the series with elliptical styli. I thought I had a pdf of the relevant brochure but can't find it at the moment.
Old 25th May 2020, 8:53 pm   #3
sp10mk11
Octode

Default Re: BSR P163 turntable

If my memory serves me correctly it is based on the BSR BD-95 turntable, your choice of cartridge is a good one for this deck, though there are others.

Hope you enjoy the deck
Gary
Closed Thread