UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2020, 1:21 pm   #1
David Gardener
Triode

Default Scratchy noise when tuning fm radio?

Hi, I have a Ferguson 3T18 boombox from the early eighties. As I tune it to another fm station it produces a scratchy noise ( the same kind of noise as a scratchy volume pot makes). Is dirt in the main variable capacitor responsible for this? If so can I simply give it a shot of Servisol to clean it?
Cheers.
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 2:53 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Scratchy noise when tuning fm radio?

If, as most were, it's a plastic (Polyvaricon) tuning capacitor, I'd be very wary of squirting Servisol into it. TBH I don't know of a reliable way of cleaning these devices. Maybe other members do?
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 6:31 pm   #3
OldTechFan96
Octode

I've had this happen in full size tuning capacitors when the metal veins are touching or are dirty.

The Polyvaricon will probably be a sealed unit and would need to be removed to clean. It might only need blowing through with compressed air.

Are you comfortable stripping your unit right down?
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 7:32 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

Earthing springs on the variable cap can cause this. In open types, these can tarnish and then the moving vanes cause a crackle or scratchy noise. It all depends on what type of variable cap is fitted and if it's possible to dismantle it to clean.....and if it can be reassembled afterwards....
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 7:39 pm   #5
Pfraser
Pentode

I had this problem with a 'Joysonic' cheap 'n' cheerful CB/FM/Airband portable. My Roberts R9962 currently has it.

I suspect it's due to tarnishing of the shaft and contacts in the capacitor, given that it's sealed. For temporary improvement, try tuning moderately briskly across the full range, several times.

I've never had the confidence to remove & open up a polyvaricon tuning capacitor.
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 8:11 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

The 3T18 is pictured on this site
http://www.stereo2go.com/topic/index...92314111653340

Here is a detail from an image attributed to "soul.music"

Click image for larger version

Name:	tuning.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	197593

I have a vague memory of partially dismantling a similar cap and finding some tiny washers that grounded the stator and cleaning them, but I wouldn't rely on whether it was real or imagined, and in any case I couldn't say if I made it worse or better.
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 9:57 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I've cleaned these with Servisol before, in a bathroom set which became very noisy and awkward to tune.

It cured it, but others have reported disaster, so try it at your own risk!

N.
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 10:46 pm   #8
David Gardener
Triode

Is it possible to drill a small hole in the case of the variable capacitor and squirt some servisol inside, and if that fails can I purchase a new one anywhere that would fit and work, if so would it need some setting up or would it simply be a matter of soldering the new one in place?
Cheers.
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 10:52 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

No hole needed, I can see plenty of gaps in the pic in post 6, and often, the squishy plastic cover can be completely removed too.
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 11:08 pm   #10
Goldieoldie
Octode

Don't use sevisol !
Much better to use IPA
Most caps are ok with IPA but I have had one where the IPA reacted with the insulators .
If you go for it ,squirt a small amount in with capacitor fully open ( high frequency end )
Don't twiddle the shaft as the insulators might buckle up .
Shake it around and then drain
Dry with cold air from hair dryer ,don't twiddle until you are sure all the IPA has evaporated
Then turn gently backwards and forwards .
Cheers
Pete
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 11:16 pm   #11
David Gardener
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfraser View Post
I had this problem with a 'Joysonic' cheap 'n' cheerful CB/FM/Airband portable. My Roberts R9962 currently has it.

I suspect it's due to tarnishing of the shaft and contacts in the capacitor, given that it's sealed. For temporary improvement, try tuning moderately briskly across the full range, several times.

I've never had the confidence to remove & open up a polyvaricon tuning capacitor.
I've just tried tuning briskly up and down a few times and it seems to have fixed the problem at least for now.
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 10:22 am   #12
crackle
Rest in Peace

Exercising by twiddling the tuning back and forth is the best way. If cleaners like servisol are squirted in the tuning will go way out and may never resolve itself.
Mike
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 12:29 pm   #13
Mr 1936
Heptode

The Polyvaricon type capacitors have alternating metal vanes and plastic dielectric sheets, plus a little bit of air in the tiny gaps. The dielectric and the reduced thickness allows the while thing to be considerably miniaturised. Older forum members might recall the solid dielectric variable capacitors used for reaction controls etc, which used thin paxolin sheets. Lower Q but smaller and cheaper than air spaced types.

If squirting in a solvent based product, the risk is that it will wick into the tiny gap between the vanes and sheets. Solvents have some surprisingly extreme dielectric properties, so initially the tuning may go way off. The solvent part will probably eventually evaporate, but the residual lubricant (which will also have dielectric properties) may lodge in there permanently.

Why do I know this ? I was once responsible for the design of a PCB containing those silver coloured polystyrene "swiss roll" capacitors. Close tolerance and quite expensive. We couldn't work out why the oscillator frequencies were way off, and production were blaming the designer. Then someone tested a board which hadn't been cleaned in "Arklone" after soldering. Everything was fine on that one. It turned out that the ends of the capacitors werent sealed, and sucked up the solvent nicely......

I also find that a bit of "exercise" can cure crackly tuning etc. When I used to mend electronic things for people, the commonest complaint was tape decks which wouldn't record, due to the switch not having been used for ages. A dozen changes from play to record was usually enough to get things going even without switch cleaner.
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 11:09 pm   #14
poppydog
Banned

I have a dulci air band radio, a far eastern made thing from the early 70s that is cheap and cheerful, is really super sensitive, but has really scratchy sealed poly tuning caps. No amount of exercising will clear the scratching. I will at some point try to remove and clean them, maybe with a low pressure airline, I wouldn't recommend spraying anything in them.
See the circus I had here-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=146051

poppydog
Old 24th Jan 2020, 8:33 am   #15
David Gardener
Triode

The answers on this thread will make me more cautious in future when spraying Servisol to clean pots. I may even use a contact cleaner with a syringe so I only get the cleaner where it is required. Going off topic here but is Alcohol effective at cleaning pots and switches?
Old 24th Jan 2020, 9:09 am   #16
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

In my experience, Servisol rarely damages pots. - I can only recall one instance in the best part of 50 years where this has happened, but other components, particularly variable capacitors, may be adversely affected by the use of Servisol or similar products. As with all things read the instructions before using the product
Old 25th Jan 2020, 2:09 pm   #17
Luxman1050
Octode

I find servisol good for cleaning contacts although I would not advocate spraying into pots as I have found it temporarily fixes the problem but as many say the pot has started going noisy again. All it does is gives a quick clean but you still have the deposits of carbon dust etc still left inside. If you can open them up and clean that's the way to go plus you can also see if there's too much wear or minor damage.
Visible switches just undo and again clean by hand.
All seems like a lot of work but worth the effort.
Don't just spray all over the place asking for trouble.
Old 25th Jan 2020, 4:58 pm   #18
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Useful thread here: https://antiqueradios.com/forums/vie...it=polyvaricon

This confirms what I thought. A solvent and lubricant is needed, but in very well-defined point only! I can't see that a blast with an air line will achieve much.
Old 26th Jan 2020, 11:49 am   #19
David Gardener
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Useful thread here: https://antiqueradios.com/forums/vie...it=polyvaricon

This confirms what I thought. A solvent and lubricant is needed, but in very well-defined point only! I can't see that a blast with an air line will achieve much.
Wow! I'm not sure I would have the patience or dexterity to that. Just imagine how frustrating it would be to lose some of those tiny washers on the carpet! Just out of interest are these variable polyvaricon capacitors easy to source new?
Old 26th Jan 2020, 12:10 pm   #20
Luxman1050
Octode

Two good tricks to locate anything that has fallen off a part you are cleaning servicing onto floor or carpet that's at home off course.
Main seem bit stupid but it works for me two methods cordless vacuum just go all over carpet and you'll hear it as its sucked up or use a large flash light and shine all over and eventually you'll see it. I've not lost a single part yet using those methods.

Worth a try.
Closed Thread