UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 23rd Jan 2020, 11:27 am   #1
Dickie
Octode

Default Wooden beading for "Stork" Loudspeaker

This has been staring down at me from a high shelf for a long time so I'm looking at the options for restoration. Apart from bits of the plywood delaminating and breaking off there is a length (about 6") of trim missing from the lower edge. So does anyone know of a source for this stuff? Each "bead" is approx. 6mm dia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010609.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	197635   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010610.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	197636  

Richard, BVWS member
Dickie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 2:16 pm   #2
Tractionist
Heptode

Default Re: Wooden beading for "Stork" Loudspeaker

The answer to your question is "no" - but enquiries to furniture/antique restorers may yield some positive replies. Alternatively - you may have to make a mould and cast it.
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 2:59 pm   #3
ajgriff
Octode

You could try searching on picture framing materials. This is an example of what you might find:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20cm-Bead...IAAOSw2ohd3n3z

Alan
ajgriff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 4:57 pm   #4
David G4EBT
Dekatron

It's not a practical proposition to get an exact match made as it would be too costly, but it might be of interest to know how such beading was made by cabinet makers of yesteryear, and most likely by antique restorers today. Many embellishments look at first sight as though they were turned on a lathe then cut in half lengthwise on a bandsaw, but anyone who has used a bandsaw will know that's not a possibility.

Such embellishments were used extensively in the 1930s, and later to adorn 'Utility Furniture' to make it look less plain.

Some time ago I needed to make a trim (sometimes know as a 'Tudor Drop') to fit to the end panels of an antique oak freestanding bookcase for my son, as one end trim was missing. I asked a retired cabinet maker who is a member of the woodturning Club I belong to how to go about it as I knew I couldn't slice it down on my bandsaw after turning it on the lathe.

He told me the 'trick of the trade' which they used, which had never occurred to me. He said they used to do it by gluing two sticks of the required length together with newspaper using hide glue. The stick is then turned to the required profile then placed in hot water to melt the glue and separate the two halves. It worked like a charm.

The sketch below makes the technique clearer. On a long length of fragile trim it would of course need to be supported on a 'steady' to prevent it whipping about when being turned. No doubt trims made on a commercial scale in factories used steamed timber passed through rollers under pressure to deform the fibres to the desired profile.

No help at all in answering Dikie's query, but I hope it may be of passing interest.

Good luck in finding a matching trim - the example that Alan ('agriff') gave the link to was well spotted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Beaded Trims.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	197646  
David G4EBT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 5:15 pm   #5
ajgriff
Octode

Often wondered how it was done in days gone by. Fascinating insight, thank you.

Alan
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 5:33 pm   #6
Dickie
Octode

Yes, me too. Thanks David. And also thanks to Alan & co. for the ideas. I had done a google image search and come across the large-section mouldings but nothing small enough. I suspect moulding my own will be the only way to go.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 6:04 pm   #7
ajgriff
Octode

Is the beading in the link of no interest? Thought it looked to be about the right size at 5mm width.

Alan
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 6:22 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

If not a close enough match, you might have to take the rest off and replace it all.

David
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 6:41 pm   #9
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
Yes, me too. Thanks David. And also thanks to Alan & co. for the ideas. I had done a google image search and come across the large-section mouldings but nothing small enough. I suspect moulding my own will be the only way to go.
I didn't cover in my earlier post how the 'beads' would be formed. An experienced woodturner would use a small skew chisel or parting tool, but there are 'beading tools' which less experienced woodturners can use to get uniform repetitive beads, though they're not cheap. In any event, to make beads of the exact size that you need, the tool would need to be exactly the right size.

You could make a beading tool from an old flat woodworking chisel of the right width by grinding the tip to shape as shown in the rough (not to scale!) sketch below. There's an example here of a woodturning gouge ground to make it into a bead forming tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ03n8vt2kw

These are manufactured beading tools:

https://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/to...ing-tools/c191

No use without a lathe of course.

If you don't feel that the beading that Alan spotted will be a good match, as David, 'Radio Wrangler' says, maybe your only option would be to replace it all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bead Turning Tool.png
Views:	19
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	197651  
David G4EBT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 6:45 pm   #10
ajgriff
Octode

Another alternative would be to just replace the whole of the bottom section if close enough. It's expensive stuff for what it is I guess. The same company also do a longer 75cm length at 6.99 which is more economical per unit length.

Alan
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 7:25 pm   #11
Dickie
Octode

Although its "5mm width/depth" its only a right angle section so I would need to glue two together which would be way to big. At least, that's how I read it.
As both Davids say, if it's not an exact match one's eye will be immediately drawn to it. Plenty of food for thought though. Thanks to all.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 23rd Jan 2020, 8:25 pm   #12
ajgriff
Octode

Yes I see what you mean about the right angle. Hope you manage to find an acceptable solution anyway.

Alan